53: FRIENDSHIP AND LOVE

"Isabella Paxton!"

It's stupid and cliché, a popularity contest really, not to mention that its no surprise.

That doesn't stop me from smiling excitedly as the fake silver tiara is placed on my head. The cherry on the cake? Cole Matthews is my king.

Prom king and queen.

"Speech!"Chelsea screams from the front of the crowd and when Tess echoes it, it becomes a chant.

Cole smirks at me and passes the microphone into my hand. I roll my eyes, taking it with an involuntary smile.

"Well, you all certainly know how to recognize true royalty," I joke. There are a few laughs, then I add, "But seriously, I'm honored, not because I won prom queen, but because I get to make one last special memory with you guys. I love every one of you with all my heart. Thank you"

Chelsea whoops and everyone cheers. "Okay, okay" Miss Kyan says, "now its time for the king and queen dance, make room everybody"

Cole smiles at me, stretching out a hand for me to take. I take it and he leads me down to the center of the gym, pulling me closer as a soft melody begins to play.

I smile at him, putting my arms round his neck as we begin to sway, "king huh?"

He smirks, "does that mean I can't call you princess anymore?"

I shake my head, "I like princess, let's keep princess"

He chuckles, "why?"

I shrug, "princess makes me feel like I'm in a fairytale"

Cole raises an eyebrow, "Elsa?"

I roll my eyes, "and yet, Princess Anna's the one with a boyfriend"

He laughs, dropping his head slightly. Then he whispers, "I love you princess"

I pull him closer, resting my head on his chest, "and I love you"

***

"Four years isn't that much of a long time, but it's an important time. At least it was for me. I found friendship and love and as I go into the rest of my life, these past four years will always be dear to me, I'll never forget how much it all meant to me. I hope it's the same for you guys, so as we go into the world, let's take what we've learnt, the parts of ourselves we discovered and let's kill it"

The rest of the graduating class of 2019 rises to their feet with deafening applause and I have to blink furiously to stop the tears building up in my eyes.

I climb down the podium as principal Terrier takes the mic again, "That, ladies and gentlemen was our outgoing student body president, cheerleading captain and Valedictorian, Isabella Paxton!"

A tear finally rolls down my cheek when I throw my graduation cap into the air, along with the rest of my classmates.

High school is over.

My parents don't make it to graduation, but who cares? Tyler made it.

"Baby!"

"Baby!"

I throw myself into his arms, laughing giddily as he spins me around. "I'm so proud of you" he declares when he sets me on my feet.

I smile at him, "hey, just following in your footsteps, Mr. Valedictorian slash student body president slash swimming captain slash prom king slash-"

"We get it, we get it, awesome runs in your family" Kira rolls her eyes playfully, giving me a hug.

I giggle, hugging her back, "thanks for coming, Kira"