41: TEAR THE WHOLE WORLD APART

BELLA

I look up, surprised as new seats are added to our table and the boys insert themselves between the girls.

Tess raises an eyebrow, accepting a peck from Nathan, "Can we help you?"

"We heard the magic words, party and we were summoned" Logan says, stealing a piece of lettuce from Raven's salad.

I roll my eyes, "well, this saves me work on invites, party at my house on Saturday. I like expensive gifts"

"Oh yeahhh," Matt muses,"the valentine's day slash birthday bash"

I nod in affirmative and then my gaze shifts to Cole's who is sat opposite me, "You're coming?" I mouth the question.

He smiles and nods and I watch as he bows his head. A few second later, my phone buzzes in my lap.

The text from Cole flashes on my screen

I need to tell you something

I look up at him just as he stands up and grabs his tray, "See you guys later" he announces and after meeting my eyes, leaves the table.

I watch him throw away his trash and leave the cafeteria and I nudge Tess and Chelsea, "I'll catch up with you guys later, answer any questions about the party for me okay?"

Chelsea nods and goes back to flirting with Dallas but Tess raises her eyebrow, "Say hi to Cole for me" she whispers with a smirk. I roll my eyes, a small smile playing on my lips as I leave the table.

I spot Cole as soon as I leave the cafeteria, he's waiting for me at the door and as soon as he sees me, he grabs my wrist and gently pulls me away till we're by my locker.

The hallway is almost empty but I feel the need to whisper,"Hey, what's wrong?"

His face is dull and I can't help but worry about him. The past couple of days have been eye opening and emotionally exhausting, especially for Cole and I wonder what bomb he's going to drop next.

"Mom is seeing someone."

My eyes widen, "really? That's amazing!"

The look he gives me says that it really isn't amazing.

I frown, "Isn't it?"

He sighs, exasperated, "really? After all that has happened, she shouldn't even be going near men"

A sad smile spreads on my lips and I reach forward to grab his hand. His fingers automatically intertwine with mine and I squeeze gently, "Cole, Gabby is a smart woman, smart enough to not repeat her mistakes. Yeah, she's been through a lot but she deserves to find love as much as the next person. Do you really want her living the rest of her life in fear that every man she meets is going to hurt her?"

"But-"

"And this time," I cut him off, "she has you looking out for her. She'll be fine"

Cole sighs again, "I want her to be happy but what if she ends up hurt?"

I smile, "Then he's going to have to deal with a very angry basketball captain and a girl with very high kicks"

He chuckles a little and my smile widens, "Thank you, princess."

***

"Hey"

I smile at Ryan as I take my seat next to him in biology. I wrinkle my nose at the frog in front of us as Mr. Owen starts to instruct us on what to do.

"So," Ryan starts as I begin to put on the gloves, "you and Cole huh?"

I freeze, "me and Cole?"

He shrugs, "you guys have gotten really close lately."

I force an incredulous laugh, "me and Cole? Don't you mean Cole and Megan?"

There's an instant frown on Ryan's face and I exhale unnoticeably.

"What?"

I fake a smile, "Yeah, they've been getting really close, and I heard they text like all the time. Anyone can see that they have something"

As if on cue, Megan laughs at something Cole says, both of their heads bowed together as they dissect their frog.

I bite back the jealousy that rises inside me and smirk at Ryan instead, "see?"

"I personally think they'd make a really cute couple, don't you?"

Ryan clears his throat and I try to ignore the pained look on his face, "I don't think Cole is her type"

I let out a short laugh, "please, guys like Cole are everybody's type. Tall, handsome, smart, kind and he's the captain of the basketball team"

I notice him wince at my mention of his former title but I push down the remorse and continue,"He's basically every girl's dream and what makes you think Megan is any different?"

Ryan looks away just as Megan laughs again and I swallow the urge to turn around and ask her what exactly is funny about dissecting a frog?

Instead I grab the scalpel and start to dissect our frog.

Ryan's face is a picture of devastation and although there's a smirk on my face, I want nothing more than to scream as loud as I can.

When did I become this girl? Afraid to show what she's feeling and content with tearing other people apart?

Then Cole laughs behind me and suddenly, everything is justified. If it means that the curly haired boy with the gorgeous green eyes and a dark past can have his happy ending, I'll gladly tear the whole world apart.

***

Heyyyy guys. Your favorite flaky author is back!😊

How's everyone doing this period? I hope you're all staying safe and I pray that we all come out of this scary time stronger than ever, physically and mentally.

I'm sending my love and good wishes through your screen with this half-assed filler chapter (I couldn't even make an awesome comeback ugh)💕💕

Anywayssssss. I love you guys and hopefully updates will be more frequent cause honestly what else do I have to be doing with my life except be driven crazy by my family?

Question: What are you doing with your quarantine time?

💕Sophie