52: LOVE ME FOR ME

"I swear, the next person that lovingly kisses their boyfriend on the cheek, I will pull out your hair, strand by strand, fashion a rope out of it and hang you from it"

Tess and I exchange a glance, trying our hardest not to laugh. "Someone's a grumpy pants" Tess giggles, putting her arm around a fuming Chelsea.

Chelsea rolls her eyes, "just because every guy I've ever been remotely interested in has either been stupid, an asshole or blind while you two fall deeper in love every day and never fail to rub your two gorgeous boyfriends in my face. Why would I be grumpy?"

I roll my eyes, joining Tess's arm round Chelsea's shoulders. "I can think of like ten guys off the top of my head that would lay down and let you walk on their backs"

She huffs, "yeah, well none of them are cute"

I laugh, leaning back into Cole as his arm tightens round my waist. We're in the gym, all showered up after practice, hanging out.

Well, I say hanging out, Chelsea calls it torture because she's the only single one in our little circle.

"I could introduce you to my cousin?" Nate offers, resting his chin on Tess's shoulder, "he's pretty okay in the looks department and he's not an asshole"

Chelsea shoots him a glare, "great, now all I'm good for are pity dates" she leans back, "I thing I'm going to hang myself"

I ruffle her hair fondly, "oh come on, there'll be tons of cute boys at Brown"

She sighs, "there better be, or better still, let's dedicate our summer road trip to finding me a boyfriend hmm?"

Cole chuckles, his body vibrating against mine, "I can make posters if you want? We'll put it up at every stop Feisty Redhead looking for a boyfriend, preferably cute and with working eyes. Apply at the RV in the parking lot"

Chelsea glances at me, "your boyfriend's hair isn't long enough, wanna volunteer yours?"

I wrap my arms around Cole's waist protectively, "Hey! I just found love, you don't get to hang him"

She rolls her eyes, "I hate you guys so much"

Tess gives her a big kiss on her cheek, "love you too bestie!"

***

"Cole? Wha-"

He holds up a paper in my face, interrupting me from asking why he's at my house when we just parted ways in school like thirty minutes ago.

I squint to read the words on the page, "Dear Mr. Matthews, I am delighted to congratulate you on behalf of everyone at the University of Southern California for your acceptance into our oh my God!"

I throw myself into his arms as he spins me around till I'm dizzy with happiness.

Cole sets my feet on the ground and I pull back to beam at him, "I'm so happy for you" I kiss his smiling mouth and hug him again.

His arms tighten around me and I can feel the joy radiating off of him. "Wait, I pull back, what about the scholarship?"

His smile widens impossibly, "I got it!"

I let out an excited squeal, hugging him again. "Have you told Gabby?" I ask when we pull apart again.

He shakes his head, "the first person I wanted to tell was you"

Awwwwnnnnnn!

I pull him into the house and to the kitchen where I had begun reheating leftover lasagna.