36: ISABELLA PAXTON HAPPENED TO ME

Once I get out of the bus, I stretch and let out a loud yawn. Cole and I slept through the entire journey back because we were both tired after yesterday. And let’s be honest, there’s no better place to sleep than on that boy’s shoulder.

After gathering my things, I lug them to where we parked our cars. “Bella, wait!”

I turn to see Cole jugging towards me. I wait expectantly when he stops, “can I come over later?” he asks, “there’s something I need to talk to you about”

I bite my lip and nod, “sure, I’ll be home, just come by whenever”

He nods and gives me a wave before turning around. I stare at his back dreamily as he walks away and hope against hope that he doesn’t turn around to catch me staring like a love-struck fool.

On my way home, my mind is filled with all the possibilities. What does he want to talk to me about? Surely it has to do with the break-up plan. Has he noticed how little my heart is in it? Does he want to talk strategies?

I grip the steering wheel a little tighter at that thought and I make up my mind that enough is enough. As soon as he walks in that door, I’m planting my lips on his and telling him how much I love him. In that particular order.

Before long, I drive through the open gates of my house. I get down and watch in confusion as Richard, our valet rushes up to me and offers to park the car—haphazardly parked in front of the house, as usual—in the garage. Richard only comes in to work when my parents are around.

“Hi Rich, why are you here? My parents aren’t home”

He smiles respectfully, “actually miss, they are. Shall I have someone take your bags up?” I blink, “the full staff is around?”

Richard tries hard to hide his amused smile, “yes miss, I believe your parents are having some kind of gathering”

I grit my teeth as I turn and head into the house holding more surprises than I anticipated. Why are they home? More importantly, did they lose the ability to call ahead?

“Mom? Dad?” I call out to the empty foyer. I hear soft music and laughter coming from the display living room and I turn to head there.

“Well, hello”

I stop in my tracks when a boy appears in front of me, leaning against the frame. I fight the urge to smack him into an upright position.

“Who are you?”

He smirks and I grit my teeth when his eyes rake up my body slowly, taking in my leggings and hoodie and stopping at my messy bun. “Eric Lavare” he bares his white teeth and runs a hand through his blonde locks and I scoff.

“Alright” I move to step around him but he blocks the way, “You don’t recognize me?”

I raise an eyebrow, irritated, “should I?”

He shrugs and I watch as he pushes himself up to his full height and takes a step closer, I look up at him, my irritation clear in my eyes but he must be blind.

My eyes widen when he leans down, his eyes trained on my lips.

“Nope, nuh uh, eww, never, no” I duck under his arms and all but run into the living room. What the hell was that?

“Gwendoline!” my mom exclaims as I stumble in. My eyes take in the other guests, five women dressed like they’re attending the MET gala instead of gossiping together at a friend’s house—if they can even call each other friends.

“Mom” I force out a smile and accept the stupid air hug and kisses. “What are you doing home?”

She smiles, “it’s my house isn’t it? Do I need a reason?”