43: SAY SOMETHING

Dedicated to mofogoo for helping me pick a song and cause it's her birthday today💕
***

"Have I told you how beautiful you look?"

My makeup looks nowhere as good as it looked earlier today, I took off the tiara and put my hair up in a messy bun and my dress is all sorts of rumpled due to my previous lounge session.

Despite all that, looking up at Cole and seeing the way he looks at me, I feel more beautiful than I felt throughout today.

I bite my lip and turn my face away to hide my blush, "a couple of times already, yeah"

Cole sighs, "I'm really sorry, princess"

I turn to look at him properly, "you've said that a couple hundred times too. It's okay Cole," I lovingly stroke the head of the gorgeous golden retriever in my lap, "this cutie more than makes up for it"

He smiles, "I may or may not have already named her"

I raise a brow, "Really, what?"

His smile widens and I try to ignore what it does to my belly, "Skittles"

I giggle slightly when the sleeping puppy's ears perk up at the name, "It's perfect"

"You're perfect"

A sound like the hybrid of a squeak and a cough echoes in the silence. And in my mind, the words play over and over again. You're perfect.

By the time I blink and my mind comes back from its short trip, Cole is standing in front of me with his hand stretched out. I look up at him in question and he smiles, "before it's over, I want a dance with the birthday girl"

A smile of my own makes its way to my lips and I take his hand and stand, gently moving Skittles to the side.

My heart beating a thousand miles per hour, I connect my phone to the speakers but before I can pick a song, Cole gently takes it out of my hands.

I watch as he bites his lip and scrolls down my playlist and I hold my breath, wondering what song he'll pick. Seemingly satisfied, he drops the phone on the couch as the first notes start to play.

Quietly and tenderly, in a way that does nothing to calm my rapidly beating heart, Coles wraps my arms around his neck and places his on my waist.

We start to sway slightly and it's physically impossible to look him in the eyes.

The sun is filling up the room

And I can hear you dreaming

Do you feel the way I do, right now?

I bite my lip and tighten my arms round his neck, resting my head gingerly on his shoulder. That way, it's not awkward that I can't look at him and he can't see the emotions on my face.

Why would he choose this song?

I wish we would just give up

Cause the best part is falling

Call it anything but love

Oh sweet Jesus is this about to be what I think it is?

I will make sure to keep my distance

Say I love you when you're not listening

How long can we keep this up, up, up?

I close my eyes and lose myself in the feel of his arms around me, in the melody of the song and in the gentle swaying of our bodies. When the song ends, I'll ask my question, I'll decipher what it all means.