Chapter 23

Cassie's POV

Cassie's POV

I watched on as Shawn played with my little cousins. He was chasing them around the room and throwing them onto our couch, making them erupt in a fit of giggles. I couldn't help but smile. It was such a cute sight.

"I like him." I snapped my head towards my sister Carlie who appeared next to me. I wiped the smile off my face, hoping that she didn't see. I didn't even notice that she was standing there.

It was Thanksgiving and my whole family was over to celebrate. The food was great and it was nice to see all my aunts, uncles, and cousins since I hadn't seen them in a while. Of course they asked me millions of questions about my life, but that was expected because 1.) that's what all relatives do during the holidays and 2.) to them, I was dating THE Shawn Mendes, and obviously they were interested.

I was nervous the whole day about my family meeting Shawn, but after introducing them to him, they seemed to like him a lot. Throughout the night, I would see him mingling with my family members, laughing and seeming like he was having a good time. Even when I wasn't around.

"And I think you do too. You were ogling him, I saw." Carlie smiled, and gently shoved my shoulder.

I rolled my eyes. Here we go again.

"I was not and I don't like him like that." I replied, unable to make eye contact. I wasn't. I was just curious to see what he was doing to make our cousins laugh so hard, that's all.

"Girl shut up. I know what I saw. You like him, and he likes you." She wiggled her eyebrows.

"Carlie," I sighed, "we're friends. He's just a good actor, that's all." I told her. I'm sick of my family thinking that we're dating. We're not. I just had to act like it for for my aunts/uncles/cousins. I only told my immediate family about the arrangement. But when they say stuff like this, it only reminds me that he's a celebrity and I'm just a normal girl.

"I don't know about that Cas. I can just tell. I was talking to Emily and she thinks so too." She said.

"Like I said, he's a good actor." I replied then turned towards the football game that was playing on the tv.

"Ah I don't think so." I heard her say before I felt my chair being turned until I was face to face with her. Her mischievous look turned into a concerned one. "Why are you acting like this? I know you like him. You can tell me. What's up with you?" she asked. I was surprised at her words. I should have known that if anyone could see through my lies, it would be her.

"Fine. I just don't fully trust him yet okay? He's famous. I don't want to be involved with a celebrity. Their world is toxic and I don't want him to change me." I told her a half lie, but tried to make it convincing.

"That's all great, but what's the real reason?" She looked into my eyes. She caught me again.

I sighed and squeezed my eyes shut briefly before reopening them and telling her the truth. "Okay. I guess I'm just scared. Terrified actually. I've never been in a relationship before and I've never done anything with anyone. And you know what happened to my friends an-"