Chapter 11

We sat quietly in the waiting room, as far from other people as we could be

We sat quietly in the waiting room, as far from other people as we could be. It was the day of Shawn's appointment. I had to drag him here, but we're here nonetheless.

Because we were trying to keep it a secret, we had to sneak out the back entrance of the apartment building. We wore dark sweatshirts with hats and sunglasses. We had to walk to the office since it was close by, so we made sure to keep a low profile. Thankfully, we made it undetected.

Now we were signed in and waiting for them to call his name.

I looked over to Shawn to see his leg was shaking; a nervous habit. He was looking out the window with his lips drawn in a straight line. I smiled to myself.

"Shawn." I whispered, putting my hand on his knee to stop it from shaking.

His head turned in my direction. His eyes slowly moved from my hand on his knee to my face. "Yeah?"

"Calm down. It's okay to be nervous."

"I'm not nervous." He answered quickly and sat up in his seat.

I gave him a look. "You don't have to pretend. I can see right through it."

Our eyes met, before he looked away and back to the window. "Fine. I just hate talking about this stuff. I already did it once, I don't want to do it again."

"Well you told me everything. Just pretend you're telling it to me again." I shrugged. He was going in by himself obviously. I was only here for moral support.

He sighed, but didn't say anything.

"You'll thank me later for this." I attempted to joke, nudging his shoulder.

"Doubt it." He mumbled.

Just then, a nurse came out and called Shawn's name. He slowly stood up and began walking in her direction.

"Hey." I said before he could get too far, catching his attention. "You got this!" I gave him 2 thumbs up when he turned around. He gave me a quick nod before turning around and following the nurse.

I hope he doesn't close up in there. He was so open the other day, and this will only work if he stays like that. I know how big of a step this is for him, and I'm surprised he trusted me.

I wonder if no one noticed that Shawn was having problems or if they chose to ignore it. I find it hard to believe that everyone is oblivious to what's going on with him, especially when it's so obvious to me.

I don't know why I care so much. I guess his story pulled at my heart strings. I signed up for this in the first place because I wanted to help Andrew, but now it may be more for Shawn. He's such a mystery to me, and the more I know, the more I want to keep digging.

Shawn was in there for quite a while. I was running out of things to do. I already read the magazines on the table, so now what?