Chapter 18

Shawn's POV

I woke up to the feeling of something on my chest. I looked down to see a body. Confused and disoriented, I looked around the room and realized that I was in Cassie's room. I almost forgot that I slept here last night.

The events that took place mere hours ago rushed to my mind. Cassie had a nightmare and asked me to sleep here with her. If only she knew that that was the best sleep of my life.

Speaking of the devil, she began to move and removed herself from my chest. I stayed as still as possible so as to not wake her up. She turned away from me, then a few moments later, turned to the other side, now facing me. I suppressed a smile. She was so cute.

I stared at her for a second, holding my breath to make sure she was still asleep. Thankfully she was.

My eyes then scanned her beautiful face. Her long eyelashes laid upon her cheeks, her hair was sprawled out around her head; she looked so peaceful. A vast contrast from how she was last night.

I found myself scooting closer and lying on my side to face her. A protective feeling rushed over me. Whether she believes so or not, she is my girlfriend, at least to the public, so it's my job to watch out for her. After what happened at the hockey game, I made a vow to myself that I would never let anyone ever lay a finger on her again. And I would never break that vow, which is why I stuck by her side at the hospital, doing everything I possibly could for her.

I hoped after the past week that she would trust me a little more. I know she doesn't want to date me for real yet, but I'm going to prove to her that she can trust me enough to become more than friends. I know what I said to her and how I acted when we first met justifies her feelings, so I just have to work extra hard to change that.

I didn't even think twice as my hand reached out to move a stray piece of hair out of her face and behind her ear. As I did so, I felt her move again and her eyes slowly open. I quickly pulled back my hand and closed my eyes, my heart rate getting faster. I hope she didn't see me.

But unfortunately, she did.

"I saw that." She spoke. I slowly opened my eyes to see her smirking at me. I decided to play dumb.

I dramatically stretched. "What do you mean?" I faked a yawn.

She rolled her eyes. "Don't act like you don't know."

"Okay fine. I was reaching for a pillow to try and kill you, okay? I'm sorry." I joked.

She laughed at that, like music to my ears. "Wow. After all that I've done for you? After saving your life?" She said dramatically.

"Yes, because ever since you've lived here, the water and electricity bills have been higher than ever." I winked and poked her in the side that wasn't injured.

She wiggled out of my reach and waved off my comment. "Eh, you're rich. And because you just said that, I'm going to take even longer showers and watch more tv just to spite you." She stuck her tongue out at me.

I got up and sat on the edge of the bed. "Do whatever you want, just know that I know where you live and sleep." I said in return.

We both chuckled.

I couldn't help but smile. The fact that we can joke around like this makes me very happy. She seems comfortable around me, which means I'm just one step closer.

I got up from he bed and made my way towards the door. When I reached it, I turned around. "I'm gonna go make some breakfast, is there anything you want?" I asked.

She furrowed her brow. "Wait, you're going to cook? I'm scared."

I put a look of hurt on my face. "Hey! I can cook! I ju-"