Chapter 17

This whole week has been so weird

This whole week has been so weird. Shawn stayed by my side the whole time, basically living here with me. It was nice to have someone to talk to, but he also wouldn't leave me alone, waiting on me hand and foot. I appreciated all the help, but sometimes it was just too much. It must be his way of "making it up to me," though none of this was his fault in the first place.

Even though he's been a little overbearing, we've grown really close this week. We were able to talk a lot since there was really nothing else to do. Some nights, he's even slept in the chair next to my bed or leaning on my bed. I hated to admit it, but I kinda liked it.

Since I was getting discharged today, Andrew was here signing all the papers and what not. While he was doing that, Shawn was helping me into a wheelchair to take me down to the car.

I tried to ignore the electricity I felt from Shawn's hands on my waist, gently guiding me into the chair. He was so close I could feel the body heat exuding from him. When I looked up to his face, he was already looking down at me, a mere few inches apart. I bit my lip as we shared a moment. His eyes briefly went down to my lips before he cleared his throat and looked away.

I was left in a daze. I shouldn't be feeling like this. We're just friends.

"Alright I think we got everything. Let's go." Andrew said, coming back into the room, making both of us jump. Shawn nodded and started pushing me down the hallway. Besides everything, I was so happy to be getting out of here. Hospitals are so depressing.

I couldn't help but be a bit nervous when we reached the door though, as Andrew warned us that there were still paparazzi outside. We stopped moving, Andrew turning to us.

"I'll go pull the car around. Wait here a sec." He told us and walked out the front door. I could see the group of people with cameras outside waiting, making me gulp. I really didn't want this right now. Being near crowds of people scared me, mostly because of what happened the last time I was in the middle of one. I couldn't stop my hands from shaking.

I sucked in a breath as I felt a hand on my shoulder.

"Hey, are you okay? I thought you'd be excited to leave." Shawn asked me with a concerned expression on his face.

I shrugged, moving my eyes to my lap, playing with my fingers. "I don't know Shawn. I've been so excited to leave this place, but I'm scared. Knowing that there's a crowd of paparazzi out there I-"

"Hey." He cut me off, kneeling down to my level and grabbing my shaking hands. "I promise I'm not going to let anyone hurt us anymore. Besides, we have cops standing guard at our apartment complex. I'm telling you, nothing is going to happen as long as I'm around." His words calmed me down a little, but I was still paranoid.

I nodded and took a deep breath to try and calm my nerves. "Okay."

He had a thoughtful look on his face before he reached for the sunglasses that were perched on the top of his head. "Here. Why don't we try this." He took his sunglasses off and put them on my face. Once again I felt electricity between us as he tucked my hair behind my ears, a shiver running down my spine. Then he reached past my head and pulled the hood from my sweatshirt up and tightened it slightly. "That's better."