Chapter 24

He didn't respond at first, just sat there frozen, probably in disbelief

He didn't respond at first, just sat there frozen, probably in disbelief. I don't blame him. This came out of nowhere. I don't know what came over me; as soon as our eyes locked, I just knew what my decision was.

His hands hesitantly rested on my waist as he broke out of his trance. When I didn't wiggle away, he pulled me in closer.

Our lips moved together, as if they were made for each other. He was so gentle and delicate with me, like I would disappear if he made one wrong move.

I let out everything I've been holding back for the last month. I was quickly running out of breath, but I didn't care. This felt so right.

All of a sudden, I felt Shawn shake his head before he pulled away and sat up.

"Cassie wait." He gently moved me off of his lap to sit next to him. I immediately thought the worst. Was he pretending to like me again all this time? That must be it. Why else would he stop? I felt stupid once again. My shoulders slumped.

He caught his breath for a second and then turned back to me. "I'm confused. Why are you doing this?" He asked.

"What do you mean? I thought you wanted this too?" I asked back sheepishly, playing with my fingers in my lap. I was unable to look at him, embarrassed.

I felt him scoot closer and cup my face in his hands, forcing me to meet his eyes. "Hey. I do want this. I want it bad, but I don't understand. I thought you just wanted to be friends? What changed?"

I placed my hands atop his and gently moved them off of my face and into my lap. "I just-" I looked away before getting the courage to speak, "-I've been battling these feelings I have for you for a while now. I've been lying to myself saying that there's no way you could actually like me and that if we dated I would be the one to get hurt in the end. But on Thanksgiving I had a talk with my sister, and she told me to just forget about everything else and follow my heart. For some reason, I can't get that talk out of my head. Just now when I looked into your eyes, I knew my answer, and my answer is that I want to be with you." I finished, ironically unable to look in his eyes.

I held my breath as I awaited his answer. I couldn't help but sneak a peek at his face when he didn't reply. He gave me a thoughtful look before placing his hand on the back of my head and slowly pulling me in for another kiss.

It was a short kiss, but left me in a daze nonetheless.

He slowly pulled away. My eyes were still closed as I leaned slightly away, trying to memorize the feeling of his lips on mine.

Then I felt myself being engulfed in his arms. My eyes snapped open at his sudden embrace.

"God it feels so good to hear you say that." He whispered into my hair. I could hear the smile in his voice. A smile creeped out on my own face as I slowly wrapped my arms around him.
"I promise I won't hurt you again." He added, making my smile grow wider.