Chapter 10

I woke up the next morning to the sunlight pouring in through my windows

I woke up the next morning to the sunlight pouring in through my windows. I checked the clock. It read 11:36. I guess I slept in.

I sat up in bed and stretched. I began to yawn, but immediately closed my mouth in pain. The events of last night came rushing to my mind. The bar fight, the guy punching me, and the moment I shared with Shawn in his room.

I immediately got up and walked into my en-suite bathroom. When I turned on the light and looked in the mirror, I gasped. I couldn't believe the damage that had been done. There was a massive bruise on my left cheek, and it looked as though I had a black eye as well. Holy crap.

I put on a hoodie, making sure to cover my cheek, and quietly tip-toed to the kitchen to get ice. I didn't want Shawn to see. He would probably make fun of me for it. Although we did share a moment yesterday, he was drunk. I'm sure he forgot about everything he said.

I got the ice from the freezer undetected. I turned to go back to my room when I heard footsteps behind me.

"Cassie." Shawn called. I silently cursed at my bad luck and slowly turned around. I pulled my hood tight.

"Oh -uh-hey Shawn." I turned back quickly and made a break for my room.

"Wait a second." He said. I felt him grab my wrist and spin me around. "I just wanted to-" he was cut off by his own gasp.

The force of the spin caused me to let go of my hood, it falling down and revealing my damaged face.

He wore a shocked expression and went to grab my face to get a closer look. I winced at the contact, causing him to immediately soften his touch.

"What did that guy do to you?" He whispered, examining my face.

I raised my eyebrows. He remembered.

"You remember what happened last night?" I voiced my thoughts.

He grabbed the ice that I was holding and pressed it to my cheek. "I wasn't that drunk. I'm aware of everything that happened." His eyes met mine.

"Oh." Was all I could say, breaking the eye contact.

"We should probably go see a doctor. Just to make sure nothing is broken." He said after a beat of silence, not taking his eyes off my bruise.

When I didn't say anything, he pushed me towards my room. "Get ready and we'll-"

"So you're not going to say anything?" I interrupted him, turning to face him. "No jabs? No snide comments? No rude remarks about how ugly it is, or how I deserved it? Nothing?" I asked, skeptical of how he was acting.

Shawn looked away in thought before turning his attention back to me. "I told you I'd try this friendship thing, didn't I?" He asked.

"Yeah, but-"

"I meant every word I said last night." He took a step closer.

I didn't know what to say. This was so uncharacteristic of him. I know he said that last night, but I didn't entirely believe him, especially having thought it over before I went to bed. He lies a lot. I didn't think he would actually go through with it.