Chapter 22

• Cassie's POV •

• Cassie's POV •

I woke up to the sun shining through the windows of my bedroom. How did I get here?

I yawned and sat up for my morning stretch before yanking the covers off. I still had my football gear on, minus my shoes and coat. I don't remember getting into bed last night. Huh.

I groggily got out of bed and walked downstairs. I saw my sister Carlie in the kitchen cooking something on the stove.

"Morning!" She called.

"Morning." I replied through a yawn. I went to grab a cup of coffee. A thought occurred to me as I poured the warm liquid into my mug: Maybe Carlie knows how I got to bed last night.

I turned to her. "Carlie?" I called just as she was walking out.

She stopped and turned to me. "Yes?"

"How did I get to bed last night? I woke up in my bed this morning but I have no clue how the hell I got there. Do you know?" I asked through a breathy laugh.

"Oh, yeah. Shawn carried you in." She smiled before turning and walking into the living room. My eyes went wide, the smile immediately leaving my face. I took a seat at the kitchen table. Shawn carried me? Why didn't he just wake me up and have me walk? Oh no. I bet my family is even more convinced that we actually like each other like that.

....Does he?

....Do I?

The way Shawn was acting with me yesterday made my heart race all day. He really watched out for me and cared for me after I told him I was feeling anxious. It honestly meant a lot. Being in a crowd will probably never be the same. The way he covered for me and was patient with me really made me feel safe.

But there's no way. There's no way he'd actually like me. And even if he did, this relationship only exists by contract. No healthy relationship can start off as fake. Especially when he was such a jerk to me at the beginning. He did this before...made me like him and then switched up real quick.

......But that was a long time ago, I tell myself. He's different now; he's changed. He's proven to you that he's a good guy. The way he's going about it is different from last time. Just trust him until he gives you a reason not to.

I try to tell myself all these things, but there's something that stops me from letting go and giving in. I can't help it. I've never felt like this before. I'm just so scared of getting hurt.

I've never been in a real relationship; I don't know how this stuff works. Besides my parents, I don't really know any healthy or successful relationships, and dating is different now from when my parents did. My friends have not been in a single relationship that didn't end in the guy fucking them over. For some reason, I'm always the one they go to to rant. I like to help people, especially those close to me, but because of that, I know the emotions that went into these relationships. I know how low the lows can get. From cheating to abuse, I've seen it all. It makes it hard to trust.