Just then, the heart monitor started beeping in the OR bellow them, and they observed intently. Eventually, the cardio thoracic surgeon managed to get the patient's heart to start beating once again.

——

Dr. Bailey had paged both George and Helena to work with her on a case. The girl loved working with her resident, so she was more than thrilled to tag along. Now, looking at the patient's scans, the older woman questioned them.  "What do you see here?"

"Hyperinflated lungs, clouded with bullae. Seriously diminished capacity. She must be having trouble breathing." The boy answered.

"Course of action?"

"A bullectomy procedure. Remove the bullae, reduce the pressure." She answered that time.

"It says here we operated on her back in '99, so mrs. Drake has been through this before, but talk her through it anyway. And resist the anti-smoking lectures, she feels bad enough already." The chief instructed them.

"So, do you think if they put a picture of these in a pack of cigarettes people would stop smoking?" George suggested, looking at his friend with adoration.

"Don't think so. Maybe some but not most. Addiction is complicated." The young girl responded.

——

"The surgery before was supposed to help. But it never felt right." Mrs. Drake told the pair.

"Probably would be a good idea to quit smoking..." George let out.

"Georgie!" The small girl elbowed him in the ribs.

"Oh, it's fine, dear. I did! Four-pack-a-day habit. It was hell. Didn't do any damn good."

"Well then, it seems congratulations are in order Mrs. Drake." She smiled at the woman.

"Well, it looked, I mean, from the damage, we all thought you were probably still smoking." George informed.

"Cold turkey, five years ago, and what did I get for my trouble? I still had to quit my job at the restaurant. But even sitting, it hurt. Nobody believed me, they said it was in my head."

"We've seen the films, and it's clearly not in your head." The girl told her.

"Come here, the two of you." The woman signalled them to come closer and said in a tone of secrecy "You're too damn young to be doctors."

"Hey! I'm older than I look." The boy defended.

"I'm probably not, but rest assured that I'm more than qualified." The girl smiled once more.

"Do you think this is gonna work this time?"

"I think it's your best option." George said.

"And we certainly hope it does." Lena answered.

"Straight shooters, huh? I like that... you're a nice couple."

"A... hum... a... what?!" George squealed, the girl's eyes widening in shock.

"Oh, no, we're... we're not..." She attempted to explain, blushing.