6.01

TWHelena will be dealing with loss and the feelings it provokes in this chapter

TW
Helena will be dealing with loss and the feelings it provokes in this chapter. If you think it could potentially be triggering, please don't read it! It will not be essencial, plot wise.

——

It had been two days since George's death and Helena still hadn't been able to sleep. She would go to bed with Mark, but, while he slept, she'd just stare at the ceiling, thinking or quietly crying. So, on the second night, she got up, quietly, and entered the bathroom.

As she looked to herself in the mirror, she couldn't help but realize the dark circles that weighed down on her expression, along with her almost closed eyes. Helena was exhausted. She was exhausted emotionally, she was exhausted physically and she couldn't sleep, because every time she closed her eyes she saw that mangled body. Georgie's mangled body.

Running a hand through her hair, she left the bathroom, moving to make herself a cup of hot choca. As she sat in the chair of their hotel room, cup of the drink in hand, Mark seemed to shift in his bed, reaching out for her but not finding Helena. At that, he let his eyes flutter open, sitting up slightly to see his girlfriend sitting on the chair.

"Lee?" He asked, his voice groggy. Helena simply stared down at her beverage, making the man light up the light in his nightstand. "You ok? Why don't you get back in bed?"

Helena hadn't spoke much the last couple of days, which scared Mark more than he was willing to admit. It scared him that he didn't know what the girl was thinking and, because of that, that he couldn't help her.

"I... I don't know." Helena started, her voice trembling as she spoke. "I haven't been sleeping. I didn't sleep yesterday. I can't sleep today either."

Mark took a deep breath before answering. "Is there anything I can do, hun?"

"I don't know." The girl shrugged, answering honestly.

"Come here, come back to bed." Mark motioned for the girl to come over, which she did, pressing a smile to his lips before curling up beside him. "I love you."

"I love you too." Helena whispered back, putting her head down on his chest.

"You're safe here, you know that? I've got you, Lee." Mark reassured her.

"Thank you." The girl shot back, closing her eyes and waiting until she heard Mark's breathing become deeper. Once she did, she let them snap back open, afraid of the images she saw once they were shut.

In her head, she couldn't stop reliving what had happened, what she could have done differently to stop it. She couldn't stop seeing George's mangled face, so swollen she could barely look into his eyes. She couldn't stop visiting their last hug, their last conversation, their last minutes together.