7.03

The day before the wedding

Helena waited anxiously in her hotel room, fiddling with her ring as she read over a medical article. She and Mark had decided to not sleep in the same house, as per the tradition, not wanting to see each other the next morning. Once she heard a knock at the door, she practically jumped up from the bed, running to open it to her family with a smile.

Daniel, who was standing in front of his mother, almost fell back because of the big hug his sister gave him immediately, letting out a chuckle.

"It's good to see you, too." He joked, charmingly.

"Shut up." Helena reprimanded, holding him tighter as a hand played with the hair of the nape of his neck. "Oh, I've missed you." As she pulled away, she gave her mother a hug too, the woman smiling adoringly at her children. "Mama..."

"Pequenina..." Her mother smiled back, holding her daughter close. Once they pulled away and entered the room, she encouraged. "Go on, show off the ring."

With a wide grin, Helena lifted her hand up to show her family the jewelry, her mother smiling. "Oh, it's beautiful."

"It is." Danny admitted with a nod.

"I am so proud of you, pequenina. I can't believe how grown up you are. I am so proud and your father would be, too. You were always his little girl." Ana smiled softly, a smile that looked just like her daughter's, as she took her in for another tight hug.

And, her head over her mother's shoulder, Helena's lip trembled as tears showed up in her eyes. She was grown up, but she almost didn't get to be.

——

Later that night, their mother already having gone to sleep, Helena and Daniel chatted, the boy laying down next to her on her bed.

"Can you believe I'm getting married?" The girl asked, staring at the ceiling.

"Honestly? No, I can't." He answered, smiling. "But I like Mark, he's good for you. You deserve this, Lena."

The siblings fell silent for a while, comfortable with each other's sleepy presence. However, a few moments later, Helena broke that silence. "Papa was supposed to be here. He was supposed be here and he was supposed to walk me down that altar tomorrow. And it feels so wrong that he won't get to, that I won't get to be given away by him." She told him, tears in her eyes. "I'm supposed to be happy. And I am, I am so excited and happy to be married. But I can't stop thinking of how there are so many people that should be here, but aren't. So many people that I've lost." And, as she finished, her hand shot up to her pigeon pendant.