3.11

Helena was still to deep in her thought, Meredith's friends waiting outside of her room

Helena was still to deep in her thought, Meredith's friends waiting outside of her room. They still hadn't gotten any updates, after Derek and Helena had brought the hypothermic girl to the hospital. Suddenly, Addison came through the doors behind her. "It's not good."

"Is she still cyanotic? What's her initial temp? What is taking so long?" Cristina bombarded the woman with questions.

"Dr. Yang! It's not good. They're doing everything they can." The redhead muttered, looking over to her friend, still glued against the wall, who seemed zoned out. "You should maybe, huh... prepare yourselves." At that, she left, Alex walking behind her.

Helena pressed her back against the wall even tighter. She'd always retreated into herself, into her mind, when she felt that her surroundings were too overwhelming. Today, she was practically hoping to merge with the walls, hoping to disappear, as she alienated herself from the situation around her.

"Prepare ourselves? That's what we tell families before we call time of death..." Cristina scoffed.

"She's gonna be ok." Izzie told them.

"Sometimes, you're wrong." George whispered.

"Uh, no. I'm... I'm not doing this." The Asian woman turned to leave.

"She's not coming back. Cristina's not coming back, not until they say she's ok or... or they..." Helena spoke up for the first time since her friend had arrived, her voice rasp and broken. Her throat turned into a knot towards the end of her sentence, the girl physically unable to continue.

"She's gonna survive this. She's gonna survive this, she's gonna survive this, she's gonna survive this..." Izzie muttered to herself, under her breath, like a prayer.

——

As Callie and Bailey came through the door, Helena was yet to move, her mind somewhere but the present.

"Callie, I'm putting you in charge of my interns. Just put them to work, anywhere but here." George and Izzie began complaining, as their resident stopped them. "You're concerned, I understand, but there was been a disaster and there is work to be done." The woman's eyes fell on Helena, still to move or speak. "Lena?"

"She hasn't... she's not speaking. Or moving, really, for the matter.." Izzie told the resident.

"Ok, hum, except for Campos then. She's in no condition to work." Bailey told Callie, turning to leave.

"Alright, they need bodies down in the clinic. Go down there." Callie told the interns, who left. Suddenly, Helena felt a hand on her shoulder, jumping slightly. "Lena?" She asked, her voice now soft. "Are you ok?" At that the Helena's eyes filled with tears once more, the girl looking down at the floor and shaking her head. "Do you want me to get anyone, so you don't have to be alone?"