5.10

Season 5, episode 18

Cristina and Izzie sat on a bench outside of the hospital's ER, the floor still damp from the night rain that had just stopped.

"Sometimes we fail, but that's not always the case." Cristina told the blond.

"Cristina, I know." The blond nodded.

"I told Alex and Bailey. And they're telling Meredith and George. And then George is gonna tell Helena because he knows how to comfort her." The Asian woman informed.

"Cristina..." Izzie sighed.

"No, I couldn't do my job! I think you came to me for help and that's what I did. Because sometimes we win, Izzie. And I want you to fight. For whatever that's worth, I want you to fight." She told her, the blond getting teary eyed.

Ever since Izzie found out she has cancer, she'd tried to ignore it. She just wanted to go about her life, do her work and not tell anyone about it. She was even considering not getting treatment. Izzie hadn't yet found how to face her disease.

"Thank you." The other resident breathed out in relief.

Inside the hospital, Helena finished up on some charting, heading to the locker room. Once she arrived, she undid her pony tail, running her hands through her hair that was now free.

As she sat down on a bench to take off her hospital shoes, George came into the room.

"Oh, hi, Georgie. Lexie, Mark and I are going to Joe's, wanna come?" She asked with a soft smile. However, once she looked up and saw tears in the boy's eyes, her smile faded as she scrunched up her brows in worry. Her voice softening and her hands stopping untying her sneakers, she questioned. "Georgie? What's wrong?"

As the boy swallowed, he sat next to her on the bench. "Lena, Izzie... Izzie has cancer."

"I... what?" Helena scoffed, almost as if her brain couldn't register the information.

"Izzie has stage 4 metastatic melanoma. It has spread to her brain." George told her, the girl's eyes roaming his face as tears grew in her eyes.

"No, that's... that's not... she can't..." The short girl let out, a knot forming in her throat. George took her hand, squeezing it tight as she spoke. "Oh, god!... Georgie, she was... she was acting weird." Helena let out a tear falling down her face as her lower lip trembled. "I noticed something was off and I... and I didn't do anything. I thought Alex had it and I... I don't go anything! Oh, god, Georgie." The girl cried, tears running down her face.