▪ FORTY-FOUR

"AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!"

Jungkook pressed the brake pedal and the car stopped with a long screech from the tyre. White smoke could be seen floating in the air when it finally stopped before the white line.

An elderly woman with a cane in her hand to support her slow walking, glared at them and a silent cussed left her mouth.

Everyone in the car were watching the elderly passed by peacefully with shocked expression on the faces.

Out of all four passengers in the car, Nahee was the first one who broke out of the shock. She looked around and realised they were close to the hospital.

She made fast taps on Jungkook's tensed shoulder and said, "yah, we're almost there. Drive now!"

Jungkook woken up from the shock and noticed a hospital nearby too. "Oh yeah..." He lifted his feet from the brake pedal and then delicately pushed the acceleration pedal to move the car.

Turning the car and drove straight to hospital's entrance, the car finally stopped. Nahee hopped off the car, opening the door for Eerin as Namjoon left the car from the other side of the door. He then carried her again as her sister shouted for help and telling the medics that her sister-in-law was giving birth.

A nurse ran to them with a wheelchair while another nurse came with a blanket.

Namjoon slowly put down Eerin on the wheelchair and followed the nurses. Nahee followed him too.

Eerin was rushed to the labor room, Namjoon was allowed to get in after signing a paper and got himself a hospital attire and a face mask.

On the other hand, Nahee waited outside alone. It was very a long time. Not until the sound of slow footsteps made her realised that she was not going to be alone. She looked up at who was going to be her companion.

Jungkook smiled at her. He slowly landed his but one seat away from Nahee.

Nahee, an empty seat, Jungkook. That distance looked awkward for a couple that was used to joke around and teased each other a lot.

At first, both of then couldn't think of something to talk about, but it wasn't long when Nahee remembered of the USB. She put in her hand into her dress pocket and fished out the small USB. She placed it on the empty seat and then slid it to the middle.

Scraping noise from the bench got Jungkook's attention. He then looked down at the chair.

Nahee nibbled her bottom lips, thinking of a proper sentence to say. "That USB. I guess, it has contents that mean a lot to you."

Jungkook looked at Nahee as if trying to ask for hints of the content she meant.

"You met my brother seven years ago, didn't you?" Nahee questioned.

Jungkook's face explained how surprised he was. "Y-yeah. I did."

"For songs, right?"

Jungkook nodded.

Nahee pursed her lips, straightened her arms and hands landed on her laps. She then rubbed them slowly while thinking what else to say.

But before she could open her mouth she heard Jungkook said, "'Euphoria'."

"Uh, yeah, 'Euphoria'. You sang to me that song."

Jungkook kept quiet for a few moments before saying, "that song was meant for Kang GaEun. I wanted to sing the song on our school's festival," he said in monotone. "But it was too late."

The quietness that started to lurk around was sad for Nahee and Jungkook. This conversation led to a deep wave of feelings that Nahee wished that Jungkook knew she felt bad after yelling at him last time and furthermore, it started when he slipped his dead ex-girlfriend's name.

"I wrote songs because of her and I stopped seeing RM hyung because of her too."

"Jungkook–"

"Nahee," he called, stopping the girl from saying anything. He wanted to tell her his intentions and idea after everything that happened to them, however, his phone ringing stopped him.

Nahee got startled while Jungkook let out a sigh as he quickly got his phone out of his pocket. He answered the call, "hello? ...yeah... You got all?"

Nahee was surprised at the sudden change of the tone. She was questioning what made the call sounded important to the point Jungkook's tone change.

She heard the man spoke in a firm tone on the phone, "I'll meet you at your place." And he hung up. The man faced Nahee as he stood up. "I've got to go," Jungkook said as he pushed his phone into his jeans.

"Tell RM hyung congratulations for me." He then approached Nahee and bend down to give her a kiss on the forehead before running to exit the area.

The girl was frozen when Jungkook left. She couldn't handle her heart drumming hard against her chest and the only action she managed to do was gulping her saliva. Unbeknownst to her, her cheeks flushed in pink tints.

The shape of the man's lips were still playing on her forehead although ten minutes had passed since he left. That was the time her body got tired of tensing for so long. Slowly, she brought her fingers on her forehead and touched the lip print.

As much as she tried to tell herself to stop falling for him, her heart didn't help.

**********

Finally, Jungkook arrived at an apartment which was forty-five minutes away from the hospital. He turned off the car's engine and locked the car after went out off it.

He went into an elevator and pressed a number. Within two minutes, he arrived at the level he wanted to stop at, getting out of it with leisure steps but eager heart.

He couldn't wait to see what he wanted to see.

As soon as he arrived at a door, he pressed the doorbell. The door was opened by a man who was as tall as Jungkook.

"Hi, come in," the man said.

Jungkook went in with a deep, quick breath.