I'm in Trouble

Layla was here? Didn't she have her own mission to complete?

"I'll be right back," I told Sophia and the others before dashing on over to the tree.

"What are you doing here?" I questioned with a slight frown.

"To warn you," Layla said simply as she gracefully hopped down from the tree branch, her sky blue eyes filled with worry as she looked up to me.

"Warn me? Of what?" I knew something was up. Even I, who was pretty oblivious to everything and everyone around me, knew that something was wrong.

Layla chewed on her lower lip before speaking, hesitantly and quietly, "Nathaniel had been found dead the other day. We have reason to believe that demons were involved."

My eyes widened, "What? No way!" I shook my head in disbelief. Nathaniel was a fellow angel in training. He was at the top of our class and admired by all students, including myself. He was the role-model and all the teachers adored him. They absolutely loved him. I only had seen Nathaniel in class, and we never really talked more than once or twice, but still... He was dead? It seemed impossible.

Layla nodded before gripping my hand tightly. "The Elders believe that every angel in training down on Earth is in danger."

"I'm in danger...?"

"Yes. So please, quickly finish your mission and return back up to Heaven. I already finished my mission, so I'll be waiting for you up there." Layla released my hand before sighing, "I have to go. I need to warn the others. Stay safe, understand?"

I nodded. "I will, thanks for the warning."

We both said our goodbyes before Layla took off to warn the other angel's in training.

"What's taking you so long? What are you doing out here?" Hollered Kaileb as he ran my way.

I jumped and spun around in shock, my heart nearly beating out of my chest. "Geez! Don't scare me like that."

Kaileb raised an eyebrow, "I just scared you? Ha! You're such a wimp." He shook his head before nudging me forward, "Come on. Sophia and Carmen are waiting for you."

I was too busy worrying over the fact that I could potentially be in danger to even respond to Kaileb's teasing.

When we got to the table, Sophia immediately knew that something was up. Unlike me, Sophia had good intuition.

"Are you okay? Your face is... a little pale." Sophia said as she peered at me from across the table.

Yeah, I'm fine. I mean, a bunch of demons' may be out for my head, but no biggie! I'm a-ok!

"I'm fine." I said with a forced smile. I didn't want to worry anyone.

Perhaps they were wrong and maybe Nathaniel wasn't killed by a demon. Maybe he simply forgot how to fly and fell to his death? Yeah, I know, impossible.

Sophia didn't look convinced, but before she could ask anything further, I quickly changed the subject by asking what they were ordering.

"Just regular spaghetti," Carmen said with a grin. "With meatballs. You can't forget the meatballs."

"Same as her," Kaileb said as he set down his menu. "Minus the meatballs. I don't like them," he said as he crinkled his nose.

"Chicken Alfredo," Sophia answered.

I stared at the menu with a frown. "I'll get Chicken Alfredo too then..."

Kaileb laughed, "That's cause you don't know what any of the other things are, am I right?"