The Demon and I

After lunch was over, me and Sophia headed over to Chemistry. I was surprised to find that Carmen and Kaileb were in our class. Kaileb was laughing with a pair of new girls, and Carmen was in the back reading some book.

"Just great," I grumbled to myself while I stepped protectively in front of Sophia. "He's here."

I waited until she sat down before I looked around and sat down myself. The only empty seat, was again, by Kaileb. Lucky me.

"Alright, everyone take a seat." Hollered the teacher as he clapped his hands together, hoping to gain the attention of the talking students.

"We'll be starting a new project this semester, a booklet reviewing everything we learned. I want you all to pair up with one other person. Try not to pair up with one of your friends."

After he spoke, the class immediately started to pair up with others. I was contemplating if I should work with Sophia, but decided against it. She needed to become social. She couldn't work with me.

"Oh, new student, how about you work with Kaileb? He's one of the best students in this class, and he can help you learn the material if you don't already know it." The teacher smiled.

The teacher obviously thought he was helping me, but, in fact, he was not... At all. He just paired an angel up with a demon.

Kaileb's smile had faded, his eyes narrowed for only a second before he forced a grin. "Sure thing! We can work together," he said, obviously forcing enthusiasm.

The teacher nodded before sending his gaze away. The minute he did, Kaileb scowled. "God dammit! Why do I have to work with a freaking angel?"

"It's not like I want to work with you either." I grumbled as I crossed my arms over my chest.

To my side, I could see Carmen pairing up with Sophia. I could trust Carmen, right? She did warn me of her step-brother.

"Hey! Are you even listening to me? You aren't, are ya?" Kaileb asked as he punched my arm lightly.

The moment he touched me I instinctively flinched back. He could start feasting on my worries with just one touch, I didn't want that. However, maybe the touch had to be a kiss, like it was with Sophia. I wasn't going to take chances. Perhaps any touch would do it.

"What did you say...?" I asked. Apparently while he was talking to me, I zoned out.

Kaileb blinked, before sighing. "I was saying how we should meet up after school to get this stupid project over with."

"What?"

"What do you mean, what? Did you not just process what I said?" Kaileb huffed with the shake of his head.

"No, I mean... You actually want to work on this with me?"

"It's a grade. I care about grades." Kaileb spoke in a matter-of-fact tone.

"A demon that cares about grades? I guess there is a new for everything." I chuckled.

Kaileb's face paled, "Stop that..."

There we go again. Fear. This kid was feeling fear.

"Stop what?"

"Demon... I'm not a demon." Kaileb whispered as his eyes narrowed.

"Sure, you aren't. You just feasted on Sophia, and you're telling me you aren't a demon. Ha!" I said in obvious sarcasm.

"I'm not!!! Demon's take pleasure in what they do! I don't!" Kaileb whisper yelled, and this time, I could sense anger. Usually emotions weren't this strong, but on him, they were overwhelming.

After a while of silence he finally spoke up, "I didn't mean to... I can't help it."

I glanced over to Kaileb, raising an eyebrow. "Help what?"

"What I did to Sophia. I couldn't stop myself." He said as he eyed his lap. "I'm half human, and--"he bit his lip before whispering, "--demon. So you can't call me a demon, I'm not. I'm 50% of both... You can't qualify me as a full-fledged demon."

No matter how you look at it, you're still a demon...

"What do you mean by you couldn't stop yourself?" I huffed. "Of course you could have stopped yourself!"

I was getting angry. Did he want me to take pity on him? Not going to happen, demon.

"Her scent is just... Wonderful. Different... It's sort of like yours, in a way, but different. Her scent entices me. I can't get away from it." Kaileb closed his eyes as he inhaled, "I couldn't get away from her smell. I couldn't handle it anymore... It's like trying to keep a gazelle away from a starving lion. It's impossible. Ever since she came to this school, I've had my eyes on her. I just wanted to taste her worries... Just once."

His words only aggravated me more. Her scent enticed him???

"What do you want me to say? No worries? It's okay? You're mistaken."

"No... I just wanted to let you know, I don't feast on others for fun. It's an instinct, and I can't stop it." Kaileb mumbled quietly as he locked his gaze with mine. "I'm not proud that I do it, but I can't stop it."

Is he guilty...? But then again, what demon feels guilt? Unless... His human side allows him to feel emotions like everyone else?

"Why is it that you and your sister, tell me these things? I'm not the one you should be telling this to. Try the girl you forced a kiss upon." I sighed.

Perhaps I was taking a bit of pity on him... Exactly what I said I wasn't going to do.

"I know... I will." Kaileb said with a nod.

Kaileb is way too confusing. One moment, he's Mr. Nice. Then the next, he's a lustful demon sucking face with Sophia. Then, he goes back to being Mr. Nice, and actually wants to atone for his sins... Perhaps his Mr. Nice guy act isn't an actual act. Maybe, just, maybe, his demon side takes over, and he goes into jackass mode...?

"Too confusing," I thought out loud. I didn't want to have to think about him being a demon anymore, it was giving me a headache.

"You could apologize to her after school," I suggested as I leaned back against my chair. "We can all work together on the project. Me, you, your sister, and Sophia."

Kaileb nodded. He seemed pleased about the idea. "Alright. Then let's meet up near the bike rack."

"Sounds good." I nodded back.

Just what was I getting myself into? Was I actually giving into a demon? Was I actually going to work with a demon!? Yikes... So much for rule number five, stay away from demons.

[Okay! Let me know your thoughts on this chapter!!! Leave your feedback and fav it, it'll be much appreciated!!! Oh, and say, do you like Kaileb, or hate him? I'd love to know what you think!]