Useless Bickering

"For fuck's sake! Drink it! You act like I poisoned it!" Kaileb yelled as he sat across from me.

"How do I know you didn't?" I huffed, pushing the glass of water away with the back of my hand.

Kaileb rolled his eyes.

After everyone met up near the bike rack, we decided we'd go to Kaileb and Carmen's house. I was against it, but Sophia really wanted to. Apparently she was getting close to that Carmen girl, and I wasn't going to be the one to get in her way.

I glanced to my side, my eyes widening at all the work Sophia and Carmen had already finished. All me and Kaileb had been doing, for the past thirty minutes, was argue. I knew nothing about nuclear fission, or Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle. We don't need to know that sorta stuff up there, so every time Kaileb went on about it, I just stared at him with a blank expression and nodded.

"Come on! We need to work! I'm not getting a bad grade because you're incapable of learning." Kaileb muttered as he quickly wrote down a bunch of formulas.

"I'm not incapable! I just never learned this stuff, so give me a break." I said as I tried my best to follow along.

All this human science, was way too complicated! Why did humans need to know this stuff!?!

After another hour of me just staring with confusion as Kaileb wrote, we finally finished.

"Finally, we're done!"

"We, angel? No, me. I did everything." Kaileb corrected me as he glanced over to Carmen and Sophia. "Did you guys finish?"

"Y-Yes..." Sophia nodded. She was still cautious of Kaileb. It was obvious, by the way she had purposely scooted the farthest away from him at the table.

Carmen smiled, "I bet we'll get an awesome grade, right Sophia? Say, I'm getting kind of hungry, let's get something to eat."

Sophia nodded with a bright smile. "O-Okay!"

Please don't tell me this was the first time she was invited out to eat with a friend...

"Great! I'm in the mood for Italian, sound good?" Carmen glanced towards me and Kaileb, before asking, "You guys coming?"

"Hmm, I guess so. I am a bit hungry." I said with a nod, trying my best to control my excitement. I've never had the chance to try human food before!

"If you're getting Italian, I'm in." Kaileb grinned, and when he did, I couldn't help but stare at his pointed teeth.

Shark... I thought, hiding a grin.

Every demon has some kind of trait that distinguishes them from humans, even if they are part demon like Kaileb. I almost laughed at how ridiculous it all was. I, the angel, was willingly going to go eat out with a demon. I could only imagine my brother giving me a scolding if he found out.

When we were about to head out, we were stopped by a lady who had just entered the home. She had long straight raven hair, fair skin, and bright blue eyes. She was probably in her forties, regardless, she was beautiful.

I must have been staring, because Kaileb nudged me in the back, and growled, "Way to stare at my mom."

"I wasn't!" I hissed as I glared at him. He didn't hesitate to glare back.

"Mom, this is Gabriel and Sophia. They're our partners in Chemistry." Carmen said with a smile.

Their mother smiled, "Nice to meet you both. I'm Margaret." She extended a thin hand towards me, a gentle smile pressed upon her lips.

So this was their mother? I guess I could understand why Kaileb's father, a demon, fell for her.

I shook her hand with a smile of my own, "Nice to meet you."

"We were heading out to get some food." Kaileb said as he headed on out the door. "Come on, lover boy." He called out to me.

My cheeks had heated, "Shush up, I yelled as I followed him out the door.

Margaret smiled, "Be safe driving!" She warned.
^
Just like buses, I realized, I hated cars. I sat in the backseat, anxiously tapping on the window. I didn't like how cramped I felt. My wings were pushed against my back, and I was was hooked in by some belt. This had to be what they called torture!!!

"You're driving me insane with the tapping! Do you want me to crash this car?" Kaileb huffed as he flashed me a look.

"I can't help it! I'm not used to these stupid things."

Sophia placed a steady hand on my shoulder to calm me down, and to my surprise, it did.

I managed to stay quiet the rest of the way. Oddly enough, Sophia's touch calmed my nerves. When we were finally there, I was the first one out. I over dramatically lept out of the car, stretching out my wings to the cool evening air, and yelled, "Hallelujah! We are free!"

Carmen laughed, "My, aren't you the dramatic one?" She teased with a smile.

I cracked a smile in Carmen's direction, when I heard my watch beep. I glanced down to find Sophia's mission completion bar, halfway filled.

What? Why isn't it already full? She's friends with Carmen now, isn't she?

I made my way towards Sophia, "Say, repeat9 what you wanted again," I whispered into her ear.

Sophia blinked in confusion, "What?"

"What was your desire that you wanted?"

"Friends. I wanted friends..." Sophia answered as her cheeks reddened.

Friends. She wanted friends. Not just one friend, but many friends. I guess she couldn't consider Kaileb a friend yet. He did force a kiss on her, so it's understandable.

Kaileb glanced over my shoulder, his gaze focused on my watch, "What kind of watch is that? It's kinda cool, can I see it?"

"No way!" I shook my head, hiding my watch behind my back.

"Don't be stubborn, I just want to see it." Kaileb persisted. "That's a watch from up there, right? I just want to take a peek."

I sighed. He wouldn't give up. I extended my hand out towards him, "Seen enough of it yet?"

Kaileb stared at of, poking it with his fingertip. I noticed that even his nails were a bit longer than a normal human's. To my surprise though, he let out a yelp.

"That shit-head zapped me!" Kaileb yelled as he was shaking his hand.

"Shocked you...?" Sophia questioned as she took a peek at my watch.

"Shocked you? Why would it-oh! Yeah, I forgot to tell you. It's an anti-demon watch, meaning no demon can touch it." I explained, hiding a smile.

Kaileb glared at me, "Tsk, how stupid of a thing. I don't like it." He huffed as he entered the restaurant first, clearly pissed off about being zapped.

I burst into laughter, and that was the moment when I finally noticed. I was being watched, by Layla.