True Self

My mouth gaped open as I watched. Sophia, and Kaileb, were kissing? Were my eyes deceiving me?

All I knew, is that I shouldn't disturb them. Whatever 'this' was, I shouldn't get in the way of it. I wanted Sophia to make friends, and from the look of things, they were becoming more than 'just' friends.

I turned my back and quietly left them to do their business. What I didn't expect, was to find Carmen waiting outside of my locker.

"Oh, good, you came." Carmen said with a small smile.

"Uh, you were waiting for me?"

"Yes. I wanted to apologize for my friend's rude behavior. They don't normally act like that... So, sorry." Carmen apologized as she locked her gaze on the ground.

"I'm not exactly the one you should be apologizing to." I sighed, shaking my head and tucking my hands into the back pocket of my jeans. "You weren't insulting me. You were insulting Sophia."

"Right..." Carmen nodded, "Is she still with Kaileb? They should have been back by now."

"They're outside the cafeteria."

"Crap, he must be at it again..." Carmen whispered with a slight frown.

"At what again?" I questioned with a raised eyebrow.

"Well... Kaileb is, I guess you can say, sort of dangerous." Carmen explained.

"What do you mean? Dangerous? How?"

Carmen looked around before lowering her voice, "He's a demon."

"What...?" I shook my head in disbelief. Kaileb, a demon?

He didn't look like one, but then again, every demon looked different.

"He's half-demon." Carmen responded, almost as if she had read my mind.

I took a step back, and just stared at her. "How do I know you aren't just some crazy girl spouting out a bunch of nonsense?"

"Because he's my brother."

Carmen, was Kaileb's sister? I guess, to be honest, they do look alike. They both have their raven-black hair, pale skin, and the same auburn red eyes, but... To call them demons?

I took a step away from Carmen. If she was telling the truth, then she too had to be a demon. Demons were evil. They are enemies of angels.

"No, please don't be afraid! I'm not a demon! We both have different mothers, so I'm a human." Carmen explained quickly.

"Wait... Why are you trusting me with all of this information...?" I asked, still suspicious of her words.

"Angels are trustworthy, that's why."

"You know that I'm an angel? How?" I asked.

"Brother. He said you only hid your wings from the human eye, not anything else. Since he's a demon, or part, he was able to see them."

My face paled. Kaileb knew all along that I was an angel? Not good...

"Earlier... You said he's dangerous. Can he hurt Sophia? He can't, can he?"

I knew that was a stupid question. Demons always hurt humans. It was in their nature.

"Well... He sort off feasts off of their worries... It doesn't hurt them! It just, makes them drowsy. In a way it's like he's helping them. He takes the worry and all of their suffering away." Carmen explained.

"How can he do that?"

"By touch." She responded.

Touch? Was that why he was kissing her? Was he still feasting on her now? It was all making sense!

I knew that he wasn't actually hurting her, but still... He was feasting off of her worries! That alone, wasn't right! He was playing me, to get to her!

Without another word, I had ran down the hallway and back to where I last saw them. Thankfully, they hadn't gone anywhere.

Sophia stood on the opposite side of the hall, away from Kaileb. "W-W-Why did you do that?"

"Do what? It was just a little kiss." Kaileb said with a shrug.

Don't play innocent. I had clenched my fists, and without realizing it, I had slammed Kaileb back up against one of the lockers.

Way to go Gabriel... Way to act like a proper angel.

"What the hell are you doing?" Kaileb groaned as he glared up at me.

It wasn't until then, that I had realized, he did look a little demonic. His teeth were pointier than a normal human, and his eyes looked almost bright red when he got mad. He sure had me fooled. How did I not notice?

"Stay away from Sophia, you filthy demon." I growled.

Kaileb had flinched at my words, his eyes growing wide. "You know?"

"That you're a demon? Or that you just feasted on Sophia? Yeah, I know." I said I shoved him away from me.

Demons were disgusting, I didn't want to see him anymore.

"Carmen... She told you! Didn't she?!" Kaileb yelled.

I probably would have punched him, if it wasn't for how he was feeling. All angels, are able to sense the emotion of others. I have always been good at that, and now that his facade of niceness was down, I could defiantly feel his true self. I sensed something unexpected from Kaileb, fear, mixed with guilt.

I sighed, shaking my head. "You aren't worth my time. Just, stay away from Sophia."

I gripped Sophia's hand, tugging her away from the speechless Kaileb.

"I didn't kiss him back..." Sophia whispered while I pulled her along.

I blinked, "What?"

"I didn't kiss him back... He pulled me into a kiss, and I didn't kiss him back. I just wanted to tell you that..."

She didn't kiss him back? She wanted to clarify that to me?

I smiled as I pat her head, "I get it. Don't worry about the kiss, okay?"

Sophia nodded as she glanced down at her fingers.

Sophia really was too innocent. I, Gabriel, failed her. It was my duty, as an angel-in-training, to protect her. I'll defiantly grant her wish! I promise it!