A Possible Friend?

I sat myself down on a seat beside Sophia, my eyes glancing around the classroom.

Which person could be suited to be Sophia's friend?

"Kaileb, will you help Gabe, our new student, get accustomed to class?" The teacher asked.

"Of course." Smiled a raven-haired boy in the back as he stood up and scooted his desk over to mine. "I'm Kaileb, nice to meet you."

"Gabriel," I introduced as I smiled back. This guy seemed nice enough. He would be perfect for Sophia!

Me and Kaileb ended up talking the whole class period, and the more we did, the more I liked him.

I'll complete my mission in no time at all!

"Hey, since I have nobody to sit with at lunch, do you mind if I sit with you?"

"Sure thing! The more the merrier, right?" Chuckled Kaileb.

"Great! Oh--" I gripped Sophia's arm and tugged her towards me, "can she also join us?"

Kaileb stared at Sophia for a second, before his smile grew brighter, "Of course! How about we all meet up near the gym. Sound good?"

I nodded right as the bell rang.

"Well, I gotta go. See ya at lunch!" Kaileb said with a little wave before dashing out of the classroom.

"Did you see that!? You'll have a friend in no time!" I beamed as I looked to Sophia.

"With him...?" Sophia asked as she glanced down to her feet.

Uh-oh... Does she not like him? Why not? He's so nice!!!

"You don't like him?" I asked as my smile faded.

"It's not that... He's just... Really popular."

"Popular? Is that a bad thing?" I questioned as I raised my eyebrow in confusion. Just where was she heading with this?

"Popular people... Hang in large crowds... I'm not good in large crowds..." She said as she fidgeted with a strand of her hair, chewing on her lower lip.

"Oh, I get it." I laughed, patting my hand on her back. "Don't worry about a little crowd. It'll be easier to make friends if you're in a large group."

It's sort of ironic, isn't it? Just a few hours ago on the bus, I was the one complaining about a crowd.
^
After four other classes, it was finally lunchtime. I was feeling a little drowsy - our power uses up our energy, and since I've been stuck in this solid form, I've been using up more energy than what I'm used to.

"Are you okay?" Asked Sophia as I plopped down onto one of the lunch tables.

I nodded, "Yeah, just a bit tired."

"Somebody doesn't look that well." Kaileb interrupted as he slid into the table with us, a group of girls joining him. Apparently these girls, were the 'crowd,' that Sophia was talking about.

"Nah, I'm fine." I sat upright with forced a grin.

"Okay..." Kaileb didn't look convinced, but he didn't push any further. "Let me introduce you to my friends. This is Lindsey, Amber, Shelby, Illy, Rosaline, and Carmen. You guys, this is Gabriel, and his friend, Sophia."

Sophia blushed immediately when her name was called. "N-N-N-N-Nice... T-T-To... M-M-M-Me--"

"Nice to meet you." I interrupted Sophia before giving her a slight nudge. "Relax," I mouthed, and she nodded.

This girl really wasn't good with people, was she?

Kaileb's friends exchanged a few looks to one another, before laughing. The girl Carmen, was the only one that didn't seem to find Sophia's shyness and awkwardness, funny.

"Nice to meet you." Carmen smiled genuinely.

"Y-Yes!" Sophia nodded, smiling back.

Bingo! She found friends! Or maybe, just two friends...? I don't know about the other girls, but Carmen and Kaileb, seem nice enough.

"You guys thirsty? I'll get everyone drinks." Kaileb suggested as he stood up, "Sophia, could you help me carry them?"

Sophia glanced over to me, "Uh...?" I nodded, grinned, and gave her a thumbs up. "Y-Yes, okay. I'll help."

"Great!" Kaileb said cheerfully as he and Sophia headed off. I noticed the other girls, minus Carmen, frown with jealousy. Kaileb sure had a large fan-base of girls.

The blonde, Shelby, turned her gaze towards me. "Say, why are you friends with that girl? She's just so awkward."

I blinked, "Pardon?"

"You could go for someone much better. She's not even that cute! Her hair is a freakish orange frizz of ugliness, and you're-"

"Hot." Finished one of Shelby's friends. Was it Illy, no, maybe that was Amber? Or, maybe Linda, wait... Was there even a Linda?

"What are you trying to say?" I asked, my eyebrows creasing. Just what were they trying to tell me? They weren't insulting Sophia, were they?

"I'm saying, you can do much, much, better." Shelby grinned. She stood up and sat herself down beside me, a flirtatious grin pressed on her red glossed lip. She took my arm, pulling herself rather close to my side. Way, way, too close.

"No fair! Why do you always get the cute guys!" Hollered one of Shelby's friends.

"She doesn't, get, anyone." I huffed as I shoved Shelby away from me.

Why would Kaileb hang around with such girls? I'm out of here. Sophia doesn't need to hang around such people, especially this Shelby chick.

"Nice meeting you all, but I have to go."

"So soon?" Shelby asked with a playful pout. "Oh well. We can play again another time." She said with a wink as she slipped a piece of paper into my back pocket. "Call me."

My jaw dropped. Was this really how human's behaved? I could not believe it! I simply shook my head, crumbled the paper and tossed it away into the nearest trash bin, and, walked off.

I exited the lunchroom and searched the halls for Sophia. She must have left the cafeteria, because I didn't see her around. I exited the lunchroom, and there I saw her. She was being embraced by Kaileb, his lips pressed tightly to hers.

Wait. What?

[DUN DUN DUNNNNN!!!! I hope you like it! Leave your feedback! Thanks!!!]