Traveling in Hell

I followed Raphael, and every once and a while, I would poke my head through a cell door as we passed. Demons, of all kinds, laid around, hollering for us to let them go. Once, I was even grabbed, and it took both me, and Raphael, to free myself loose.

"How much farther?" I asked as I kept my gaze on a blue human-like demon, who, disturbingly, looked like he was ready to make me into his dinner.

"Not much farther. Just up ahead." Raphael said as he pushed open a set of doors.

Inside, was another set of doors, blocked off by a single guard. On the barricaded door, it had a sign, labeled, off limits.

"Oh, if it isn't Raphael!" Beamed a fellow with neon red hair and yellow highlights. He wore a white tux - the standard angel uniform, which looked completely odd with his absurd hair color.

"Gideon, long time no see." Raphael said as he gave the bright hair-colored angel a hug.

He sure knows a lot of people...

"What brings you here?" Gideon asked.

"Me and Gabriel here, need to enter the portal," Raphael said as he motioned towards the blocked off doors.

"The portal? You need to enter the demon portal?" Questioned Gideon with a frown as he shook his head. "In case you don't know, demons have been invading through the portal and entering the angel realm. It wouldn't be safe to enter."

"When is it ever safe?" Laughed Raphael before resting his hand on my shoulder. "This boy needs to rescue his friend. Please, will you let us through?"

Gideon gave me a hard look before sighing, "Okay... Okay... But, don't say I didn't warn you. When you enter, it won't be easy. Demons are trying their hardest to get through. We even have a few angels stationed inside the portal to make sure no demons come through. It's chaos down there."

Raphael nodded, "We'll be careful." He assured before pushing open the door. When the door open, a bright red light shined through, and a demon lunged towards Raphael. This time, I was the one to react first. I lunged forward, smashing the demon with the hilt of my sword.

"Ha... I wasn't expecting that." Raphael said as he scratched at the back of his neck, the demon disintegrating at his feet.

Gideon frowned, "Careful, Raphael. I told you, it's dangerous. They're like wild dogs."

Raphael glanced to me, "I owe you. Now, come on."

I nodded as Raphael entered the portal. I watched as his body faded into redness.

So much for him being careful...

"Go on," Gideon said as he nudged me forward. He must have seen my hesitation. "If you're with Raphael, you should be fine. If you have his back, then he has yours."

I nodded with a faint smile. "Thanks a lot, Gideon."

"My pleasure!" Gideon beamed before winking, and then, he had pushed me forward.

As I was pushed, I stumbled into the portal, and the second I did, I was overcome with heat. My body felt as if it was burning, and my eyes stung. I couldn't even breathe. I gasped as I clung to my throat, I can't breathe. I can't breathe.

My eyes teared as I fell to the ground, which was just as hot as the air.

"Calm down," Called out Raphael as I felt him beside me. He rested his hand on my shoulder, "Just relax. The more you panic, the worse it gets."

I tried to relax, but... How can you relax when your throat feels like you've just drunken liquid acid.

"Listen to me, Gabriel. Relax." I heard Raphael whisper into my ear.

"C-C-Can't," I rasped as I tried to suck in air. It was too hot; it felt as if I was sucking in nothing but warm air.

"You can. Gabriel, just listen to my voice. Focus on nothing else. Only my voice. Listen to only my voice."

I managed a nod as I listened to Raphael. After around five more agonizing minutes, the fire in my throat ceased, and I could breathe once again. My eyes stopped stinging, and it didn't feel as hot as it once was. It was warm, but tolerable.

"Are you good?" Raphael asked as he sat on his knees in front of me.

I nodded, brushing the sweat off my forehead with the back of my hand.

"Good. You scared me for a second. We would have been screwed if you weren't able to regain your senses." Raphael said before he stood up.

My vision cleared, and for once, I wish it didn't. What I saw, was literally, hell. Hot steam surrounded the vast space of blackness, and from as far as I could see, was nothing but darkness. If it wasn't for Raphael's ability to make light with his hands, we would be blind.

"I thought angels shouldn't swear," I said as I stood up, keeping close to Raphael - if I didn't, I would be completely blind.

"You aren't supposed to, in the angel-realm. This is hell. You can say whatever the hell you want here," grinned Raphael with a smirk.

"Aren't you supposed to be a role-model for all angels?" I questioned with a laugh.

"Oh, come on. Don't tell me I can't have a little fun. I've been alive for more than a million years. Let me have a little thrill in my life."

I chuckled, "Right, right. Swear to your hearts content." I said before glancing around. "Just how exactly are we supposed to find Sophia?"

"I may be able to sense her," Raphael said before frowning. "However, my powers are muted here. You know how Kaileb couldn't stand the angelic energy in the Angel-realm? Well we, won't stand long in the demon world."

He was right. I was already starting to feel bad. I felt as if I had lost my angelic energy once again, which, isn't exactly a pleasant feeling. It's a dull bothersome ache.

"How long do you think we have until it starts affecting us?"

"I'd say about an hour. It's already affecting us, it just isn't enough to kill us. Yet." Raphael said as he led the way into the darkness.

I sincerely hoped we would make it in time before the demon energy started to affect us. Just please, let me be right, for once...