chapter 147: finals!

"very interesting, in a moment of sheer panic and the urge to save his comrade, it seems as though (y/n) just had a quirk awakening!" as soon as nezu says this you look at kyoka in shock. "a what?" you ask her, "an awakening dumbass. in moments of extreme emotion or need, your quirk can awaken. your quirk kinda mutates, it can power it up or change it in some way." kyoka says while sitting up slightly, "that makes a little sense..." you admit. unbeknownst to you, while you were talking with kyoka medbots removed katsuki and denki. "and with that, we have our two finalists! please go to opposite sides of the arena, and the fight will begin!" midnight orders. you pull kyoka up with your good arm, and walk to your side. "begin!" midnight yells once both of you reach your starting position. "your not gonna hold back, right?" kyoka asks, "not a chance!" you say confidently. "actually, midnight do you have a way to communicate directly to aizawa?" you ask, "yes, but why?" she asks, "tell him to erase my quirk! if im gonna fight kyoka, i want it to be even!" you request, "alright then!" midnight agrees. after a few moments, nezu speaks. "(y/n) has requested that eraserhead erase his quirk for an even fight, so his qish will be granted! you may now begin!" he says excitedly.

you run at kyoka while pulling down your hood and headphones. "losing the hood?" kyoka asks before throwing a punch, you dodge it and respond. "you could say that, i just wanna prove that i can still win a fight with nothing but my own skill!" you explain while the two of you fight. "well thanks for making yourself a easier target!" kyoka exclaims while attacking you with one of her jacks. "w-wait, what happened?" she asks confusedly, you immediately stop and look at her. "whats up?" you ask in concern, "i-i meant to attack with both my jacks, is my other one stuck or something? i cant feel it..." kyoka says worriedly. you look at her ear and see the base of her jack, however halfway down it is cut off and bloody. "its gone? does it hurt?!" you ask while stepping closer to her and holding the bleeding jack. "a little...they are supposed to hurt like everything else though! why doesnt it hurt?!" kyoka asks, starting to get scared. "is something wrong midnight? why did they stop fighting?" aizawa asks over the speakers. midnight then approaches you and kyoka, "midnight i surrender, get aizawa down here with recovery girl." you say sternly, "uh, okay..." she says reluctantly. "(y/n) (l/n) has given up! kyoka jiro wins this years sports festival!" midnight announces, however while the crowd roars you see her call down aizawa. "(y/n) what happened? why doesnt it hurt? is it really bad enough to call off the match?! what if it doesnt heal?! what even happened?!" kyoka blurts out, hyperventilating. "calm down, i think i know what went wrong. can you pretend to pass out please?" you request, she does so and you catch her before she hits the ground. while crouched down, you discreetly pick something up off the floor. "(y/n) use overblasts to go through the walls directly west of you. that will bring you to the tunnel im in." you hear aizawa says through the headphones around your neck.

after bringing kyoka to the infirmary, aizawa approaches you. "what the hell happened?" he asks, "when i jumped on kyoka, what happened?" you ask, "you made a force field of some sort, why?" he asks, "well, apparently thats what happened. while i was talking to midnight i noticed that there was an outline where i tackled her. right outside of it, was this." you explain while pulling kyokas detached jack from your pocket. "so your power cut it off?" he asks, "yeah..." you say guiltily. "alright, you can go in now." recovery girl says while opening the door to the infirmary. you enter and see kyoka lying on one of the beds, crying. "are you alright?" you ask gently, "yeah, but the pain set in." she says while sobbing, "okay, is it gonna heal fully recovery girl?" you ask worriedly, "i believe so, however there is always a chance it could go wrong." she answers. "im sorry kyoka..." you say while holding her against your chest.

after a few seconds of silence, best jeanist bursts through the door. "you really thought we wouldnt notice?!" he asks angrily, "yeah, yeah, give me a few minutes." you say coldly, "what is he talking about?" kyoka asks, "(y/n) broke his promise, meaning he will be arrested immediately." best jeanist explains, "what?! you cant do that!" kyoka argues, "he can. (y/n) was told that he was on his last warning. U.A isnt allowed to cover for him any longer. how will the public react when they find out that his hidden power harmed one of the few people everyone agrees he will protect?" recovery girl asks, "what? but he didnt do it!" kyoka says angrily, "yes i did. not intentionally obviously, but the force field i made cut through not only the ground, but also your earphone jack." you explain sadly. "so what?! it was during the sports festival! he is fully allowed to use his quirk for school events!" kyoka argues, "its no use kyoka. they are gonna find some way to get me anyway, lets not tarnish everyone elses reputations for me." you say, trying to calm her down. "no! you cant leave again!" kyoka cries, "its okay, you have other people to keep you safe." you comfort, "are you sure you want to do this?" aizawa asks in concern, remembering a previous conversation you had with him. "yep. kyoka? can you look at me?" you request, she does and you continue. "dont wait for me. find someone to love outside of prison." you say, "w-what are you saying?" kyoka asks while you stand up. "im saying that i dont want to drag your career down. so for that reason..."

"its over."