Chapter twenty-four

"I have something for you" Y/n said suddenly, the two were seated in her library reading the last chapters of Pride and Prejudice.

She opened a drawer in one of the desks to reveal a box wrapped in emerald green wrapping paper.

"Happy late birthday." She smiled.

"Shoot! We never celebrated your birthday!" Draco exclaimed, his eyes wide with shock.

"It's okay, you were in the hospital wing." Y/n reassured.

"We can celebrate both of our birthdays tonight." Draco whispered and Y/n blushed.

Draco smirked and opened the gift.

Inside the box sat a book with a map of the world and a tiny card written on white parchment. Y/n had outlined the 'perfect' trip from start to finish.

"I wasn't allowed to go shopping, so I had to improvise." Y/n explained.

"I love it." Draco grinned and kissed the girl.

What Y/n didn't know was that this was the nicest gift that the boy had received.

Sure, his parents spoiled him with large amounts of expensive gifts every year, and the book was in exceptional condition, not to mention Y/n's notes and additions, but Draco didn't care for them. His eyes remained glued to the card that laid underneath the book.

Never in his seventeen years of living had someone made him a card.

The pair spent the rest of the day in the garden talking about their trip. Draco was most excited to ride in a Muggle car, a luxury his father would never approve of.

Y/n was most excited to eat ice cream everywhere. She had heard that gelato was 200x better in Italy (she also secretly wanted to try American soft serve).

Night fell soon after and the two collapsed into Y/n's bed.

"Do you want to..."

"Want to do what?" Draco asked raising his eyebrows.

"Have a pillow fight obviously." Y/n laughed and threw a pillow straight at Draco's face.

"You're the worst" Draco grinned standing up to hit her back.

"Sorry, don't let your father hear about this, okay?" Y/n teased hitting the boy with her pillow again.

Draco picked up the girl swiftly causing her to giggle and threw her on the bed.

He was now on top of the smiling girl, the only sounds that could be heard were their heavy breaths and intense heartbeats.

"You're the most beautiful person on Earth." He said softly.

What happened after he said those seven words I can not disclose in this story.

The rest of the week went by too fast.

Y/n spent her morning teaching Draco how to make breakfast since he only knew how to get himself cereal. In the afternoon, they'd read or spend time in the garden.

"How is this?" Draco asked while flipping a pancake.

"Eh, I think mine are better." Y/n giggled, and the boy threw a handful of flour in her face.

"Draco!" Y/n yelped and splattered some batter on his shirt.

Draco only grinned and the two began ruthlessly chucking food at each other.

The issue with Ravenclaw and Slytherin relationships is that they are both relentlessly competitive.

By now, Y/n had flour all over her clothes and Draco had sticky batter in his hair, but the normally uptight teenagers just sat on the floor laughing.

Nighttime however, was the most exciting time. The two would take blankets outside to gaze at the stars. Every night, Y/n fell asleep in Draco's warm arms, her head buried in his chest. And every night, Draco would hum to her smiling as her eyes fluttered shut.

This particular night, the young couple had been watching for shooting stars underneath the library skylight. Both teens made wishes that life could be normal for them.

"Do you know how to dance?" Draco asked suddenly.

"Yes."

"Good." He replied while standing up and reaching his hand out for Y/n.

Draco turned on her father's muggle record player and pulled her up gently.

Y/n laid her head on Draco's chest and the two began to slow dance under the twinkling lights emitted from the bright stars.

It's a cliché hope to slow dance in the dark with the boy you love, that being said one shouldn't rid themselves of a romantic fantasy just because it's an overused scenario.

For years, Y/n believed that slow dancing was overrated, but realized soon after that it was just as magical and intimate as the movies make it out to be, if not more. 

Something about slow dancing as if there wasn't a violent war ahead, was beautiful.

The noise of the world began to fade out, and all they could do was live in the moment.