Chapter sixteen

In the dimly lit Malfoy Manor library, sat Narcissa Malfoy reading a muggle book titled 'Pride and Prejudice'. Narcissa had received this particular novel in secret, after visiting her older sister Andromeda for Christmas.

"Oh my" Narcissa uttered as she flipped a crisp page. Her reading was soon interrupted by the tapping of an owl on the window by her head.

Narcissa opened the window and let in the dark bird.

"Thank you" She whispered as she unfastened a forest green envelope from the owl's talons and allowed him to fly away.

Narcissa could tell just by looking at the neatly shaped wax seal that this letter was from her son. The mother eagerly opened her envelope to reveal a sparkling sheet of parchment, filled with her son's sleek cursive handwriting.

"Dear mum,

I messed up. I know this is not a very proper way to begin a letter addressed to the most important person in your life, but I am writing to ask for your advice.

As I have reported in recent letters to father, I began a relationship with Y/n Godwin on behalf of the Dark Lord's wishes. I found that spending time with this girl has led me to grow quite fond of her.

She cares for me and I think I care for her.

Narcissa gasped at this line, she covered her mouth trying to hide her excitement, but quickly remembered that the girl is ordered to die at the hands of Lord Voldemort. She continued reading.

She reminds me a lot of you. Witty and observant, but loving and kind-hearted. You would love her. While I realize I should not allow my feelings for this girl get in the way of my duties as a deatheater, I can not help but care for her. This girl makes me choose to wake up in the morning and her smile gives me uncontrollable butterflies.

Recently, we got in an argument, and I said some very hurtful words to her. I fear that I am becoming more and more like father. I don't want to lose her, but I also don't want to continue this relationship for the benefit of the dark lord.

Please, tell me what to do.

Love, Your son Draco -I'd also like to let you know that besides this, I am doing okay

Narcissa sighed and quickly got rid of the note, so that no one else could read it. She ran over to the desk in the library and began writing back to her son.

Dear Draco,

I am sorry to hear about your argument. This girl sounds lovely, and I hope to meet her one day.

Though I cannot control the Dark Lord's commands, I believe I can help you with your other issue.

Love is not always easily identifiable. Everyone's perception of love is different, but if you feel like it's within your heart to love her, then love her. This may be alarming for you, but I can assure that love is the best feeling you will ever feel. The day I first held you in my arms, I felt an overwhelming sense of love, and have felt this feeling every time I see your sweet eyes.

All of my life I only wanted one thing, for you to feel loved. If this girl makes you feel loved, I hope you go after her. Lord Voldemort may be powerful, but love is so much more powerful. I believe you will overcome these obstacles.

Go after the girl, and don't stop until you've won her back.

Love, mum – you'll only become like your father if you allow yourself to. I only need one Lucius, forge your own path.

Narcissa neatly sealed her envelope and sent the letter to Hogwarts, which was received by Draco just moments later.

Draco read the letter thoroughly and decided his mother was correct per usual. He got up from his bed, which he had been laying in all day and headed to the room of requirements, to work on the vanishing cabinet and clear his head.

At this point in time, he was nearly finished. Draco placed a ripe green apple in the cabinet and shut the doors quietly. He waited a couple moments before reopening the cabinet to reveal the same apple, with a distinct bite taken out of it.

Meanwhile, Y/n laid in her bed staring at the rose that sat on her nightstand. Luna had noticed it at the party and decided to bring it to their dorm for her. The sad girl examined its perfect curves and vibrant red color.

She sighed and got up. Though she did enjoy the wonders of self-pity, she knew that there was no use in being sad over something she knew would never work out.

Y/n walked to her desk and grabbed a jar containing quills. She removed the quills, shoving them into a drawer and filled the jar with water. After doing so, the girl placed the single red rose into the jar and positioned it back onto her nightstand.

It was best for her to keep moving. When she was busy, it was difficult to remember the things that had hurt her just moments ago. Y/n began cleaning and organizing everything in sight. She went through her closet at least seven times and rearranged the pillows on her bed over and over again.

Still messy. She told herself and she continued cleaning until she fell asleep from exhaustion.