prologue

The night sky was black and dreary as Katherine and Carmen Laurier hastily made their way through Diagon Alley. Most people were asleep at this ungodly hour, afraid of the deatheaters that roamed the streets at night. The only sounds that could be heard were the clicking of Katherine's boots and the faint echo of silver water droplets hitting the concrete.

The young couple moved quickly through the streets, at last reaching a tiny shop labelled, Borgins and Burkes. Carmen leaned forward knocking on the door exactly three times. At last, a tall pale man possessing the same cruel mark the young couple had acquired in their early teen years, opened the door revealing a dimly lit furniture shop. The man swiftly nodded, motioning for the pair to take a seat on the velvet chairs that laid within the stacks of miscellaneous items.

"He will be with you shortly" The man spoke quietly, almost fearfully. The young girl nodded and looked at her partner, who was holding her hand reassuringly. With a quick look of sympathy, the man scurried away and into a second room. After a few minutes, the man came out with a solemn expression on his face. He led the couple to a large pair of oak French doors and opened the golden handles to expose a dark, almost pitch-black room. Inside the room lay two velvet stools matching the chairs in the furniture store, as well as a large leather armchair.

"My lord" The two said in unison, as they kneeled in front of the ghastly creature before them.

"Sit" The creature commanded and the two did exactly as he said.

"Mrs. Laurier" The creature spoke in a low voice, beckoning the young lady to speak.

"My lord. My husband and I have had a difficult time producing a baby. I'd have to face the many health risks that come with the procedure if I am to give birth. We are willing to do anything for our child" Katherine spoke plainly.

"I see." The creature replied.

"you are willing to do anything?" The creature repeated Katherine's words.

"Yes, my lord" The two answered in unison.

"Wonderful. Being that you are two of my most loyal followers, I am prepared to provide you with just the potion you need to bear a healthy and strong baby. At only a small price"

Carmen nodded and squeezed his wife's hand.

"If you choose to drink this potion, I require your child's first-born baby... This is to ensure I receive the potion back through the blood of the child" The creature cackled wickedly.

The couple exchanged worried glances and evaluated their choices for a brief moment.

"Yes, my lord" Katherine spoke finally.

And, just like he promised, Katherine gave birth to a beautiful baby girl, to which they named Desdemona Laurier. The young couple loved their daughter more than words can describe.

As the young girl grew to a woman, the couple noticed tiny aspects of the potion in her. The child was wise beyond her years, and quite powerful for her age.

At the age of ten, Desdemona received her letter to Hogwarts, and the couple was overjoyed. At this school, Desdemona found herself falling in love with a handsome young man named Othello Godwin. After finishing their seventh year, the couple married at the ripe age of eighteen.

Katherine and Carmen watched the couple with pride, they reminded them so much of when they were young and hopelessly in love.

Years later, Desdemona gave birth to a sweet baby girl. Katherine and Carmen loved this girl with every ounce of love in their beating hearts, but they knew the dark fate the girl would have to face, due to their selfish actions. Katherine and Carmen decided to buy the couple a large house hidden deep in the forest, as a 'gift'. Desdemona and Othello took their gracious offer and began to raise the baby girl.

Months after her birth, news spread throughout the wizarding world of the Dark Lord's defeat due to... a baby boy. Katherine and Carmen were relieved and beckoned their daughter to move back in with them, so that the grandparents could help raise the baby girl. Othello and Desdemona agreed and moved back into her parent's mansion.

Carmen and Katherine raised the girl as their own. She too exhibited features from the potion. The girl was extremely beautiful, wise, and strong. When she was ten, she was sent to Hogwarts, where she was sorted into Ravenclaw, just like her mother.

Y/n Godwin was a timid girl and only befriended one girl, being Luna Lovegood. Luna was strange, but sweet and Y/n admired her spirit. The pair often spent their time reading in the library and wandering the castle's corridors.

In their fifth year at Hogwarts, stories of the horrid Dark Lord's return surveyed the wizarding world. Katherine and Carmen grew anxious, knowing that if this were true, they would lose their beloved granddaughter. They enchanted their mansion with many protection spells and kept a close watch over who Y/n spent her time with. Nonetheless, Y/n was entering her sixth year at Hogwarts and was beginning a rebellious phase.

The old couple did everything they could to protect their grandchild, but all stories must come to an end, and on June 5th, 1996 Carmen and Katherine took their last breath. The couple died hand in hand after Katherine developed a terrible case of Pneumonia. Carmen however showed no symptoms of the disease. Doctors believe that after watching his beloved wife go limp, his heart simply stopped working.

Y/n mourned the death of her grandparents and spent most nights pent up in her bedroom. She had never known how they'd spent their entire lives trying to protect her from a terrible fate they had caused.

Thanks for reading! If you enjoyed this chapter please remember to vote, it really helps my book succeed in the wattpad algorithm! :)