Chapter twenty-two

The golden trio sat with Y/n and Luna on the ledge of the astronomy tower in thoughtful silence.

"Do you think he would have done it...Draco?" Hermione asked spontaneously causing all of them to jump at the sudden sound.

"No...no, he was lowering his wand. In the end, it was Snape. It was always Snape."

These words brought peace to Y/n's heart and hope for even a sliver of good left in Draco.

"I loved him." Y/n said softly.

"I really really loved him."

With the death of Dumbledore and the return of Voldemort, the wizarding world fell into dark times.

Break approached faster than expected. Both Y/n Godwin and Draco Malfoy laid in their beds worrying about the Summer that awaited them. Though they were different in almost every aspect, the two shared the same dread for the lonesome times that was coming.

Y/n dreaded having to spend the entire Summer basically alone. Her parents were aurors, so they were constantly travelling, and with the return of the Dark Lord she wasn't allowed to leave Godwin Mansion grounds. She enjoyed spending time in her garden and most definitely enjoyed time to be alone in thought, but there was hole in her heart, and despite her constant attempts, nothing seemed to fill it.

She missed Draco dearly, and every little thing reminded her of the boy.

Nothing was worse than losing someone who was still alive.

Draco dreaded having to spend the Summer attending deatheater meetings and spending the time not in meetings sulking in bed.

He also dreaded not seeing Y/n's eyes or even hearing her laugh, a laugh that sent chills down his spine and filled his stomach with butterflies. Just the thought of what Voldemort was planning to do to this clueless girl made his stomach turn.

Draco recalled laying in this same position reassuring himself that Y/n Godwin was just a pawn in a large game of chess. A stupid girl, and nothing more than that. This mentality would make it easier to complete his task, but he couldn't have been more wrong.

Y/n was anything but stupid. She was intelligent and kind and thoughtful, but she did have one fault.

She fell for a boy who would only break her heart in the end.

Draco knew he wasn't good enough for her, he would never be. He also knew he only ever cause destruction.

Why would Y/n be any different than things he loved before?

He had loved the stars, but his father told him stargazing was for girls and weak boys.

He had loved the snow, but he was never allowed to play in it.

He had loved quidditch, but his father made him quit to perform his deatheater duties.

He had loved Y/n, but she probably hates him and thinks he killed Dumbledore himself.

This is how the Summer went, two teens in drastically different situations thinking about what the other was thinking about.

Deatheater meetings were extraordinarily difficult for Draco to experience. Some days, he'd have to sit through the murder of an innocent human-being with no expression. The first torturing he had watched, he flinched slightly and clenched his jaw to prevent himself from breaking down.

His father made sure this tiny mishap would never happen again, but Draco had witnessed so many brutal killings and seen so many lifeless faces, that he was numb to it by now.

How cruel can you be to allow your child to see such ghastly things?

Narcissa Malfoy had taken notice to her son's behavior months ago. Draco had not once sent or received a single letter from anyone. Sending letters at a time like this was dangerous.

She could see that when he received nothing in the mail on his birthday, he was slightly disappointed. She had made sure to spoil her son with many gifts, including a golden plated telescope, a book about astronomy, a fancy watch (He never wore it though, he only carried his treasured pocket watch), and the big banger that she hoped would make up for her husband's mistakes:

A brand-new suitcase accompanied by a crisp passport for when he and Y/n would travel the world.

Draco was extremely grateful for his mother's gifts but had hoped that maybe Y/n would send him a short letter.

He quickly pushed the idea out of his head, too dangerous he told himself.

Meanwhile, Y/n was spending her summer, repeating the same tedious routine, hoping that staying productive would take her mind off of Draco.

Luna had visited her exactly five times in the three months that had passed so slowly yet so quickly. 

The golden trio visited her once to invite her to Bill Weasley and Fleur Delacour's wedding, an offer she politely declined on account of her parents' strict rules.

On a particularly cool Summer day, Y/n decided to read in her garden. 

She was just about to the flip the page, when an owl dropped a brown box into her lap.

On the box, was a card that read:

"Dear Ms. Godwin,

Upon the death of the great Wizard Albus Dumbledore, his will and final testimony have been withdrawn, so that we may fulfill his last wishes.

In his will he has requested that you receive the Mirror of Douleur Exquise. This mirror symbolizes both the gift and curse of unconditional love, something he believed you knew much about.

The mirror allows you to see whoever you love most. Simply close your eyes and imagine the feeling that this person gives you. The mirror should show you exactly who you wish to see.

The message attached to this possession reads "love has a tendency to change a person".

Y/n opened the box to find a small white and gold handheld mirror.

The girl admired the exquisite detail and the amazing condition of the clean and clear mirror.

She decided to try it out, envisioning her mother's warm hugs.

The mirror faded from the girl's reflection, to a scene where her mother sat in a meeting at the ministry, listening intently at what someone was saying.

Y/n smiled at the sight of her beautiful mother and tried again, this time thinking of Luna and her chatting in the Ravenclaw common room.

The mirror displayed Luna drinking tea with her father while talking, most likely about Nargles.

She laughed at the sight of her father holding the tiny pink teacup Luna had bought when they went to Hogsmeade together.

The girl's smile soon faded to a frown. She knew what was about to happen.

No matter how much she tried not to, she let her curiosity get the best of her.

She closed her eyes and butterflies filled her stomach, as she thought of Draco's laugh.

The mirror showed her a sickly-looking Draco, standing on the white steps of Godwin Mansion.