Chapter two

Time dragged on, as the day Draco had been dreading finally came. Narcissa knocked on her son's door, signaling him that it was time. The broken-hearted mother held tightly to her son's cold hand and apparated to Diagon Alley. The pair made their way through the streets, looking around every now and then, to ensure they weren't being watched. Ironic being that three sneaky teenagers were studying their every move.

As they walked Narcissa glanced at her son's solemn expression, it was at that moment she knew she had failed as a mother. 

All she ever wanted was for her son to have a different childhood than she had had. Even the simplest task she performed unsuccessfully.

Draco had grown up believing that his only purpose in life was to make his parents proud. His father instilled the ideas in Draco, that he should never express his emotions, and that he should be very selective of who he chooses to surround himself with. 

Narcissa wanted more than anything to let the poor boy know she loved him more than life itself and that he already made her so, so proud. Narcissa bit her tongue though, it was too late, her son already resented her for letting him give his life to the dark lord.

Draco's eyes filled with terror as they arrived at Borgins and Burkes. He entered the same shop; his father once took him to as a young boy. It was very different. The lights were off, and most curtains drawn shut. The only light coming from a small window at the top of the shop and a few candlesticks hung on the walls.

Just as Voldemort had told him, Mr. Borgin was there, ready to show Draco his task. Draco nodded obediently as the creepy looking man explained Draco's assignment. Draco examined the cabinet, observing every inch of the dark wood. This task didn't seem too terrible, he'd make do.

The last day of summer approached faster than expected. Both Y/n Godwin and Draco Malfoy laid in their beds worrying about the year that awaited them. Though they were different in almost every aspect, the two shared the same dread for going back to school.

Y/n dreaded having to attend another lonesome year at Hogwarts. She enjoyed learning and most definitely enjoyed the presence of her best friend Luna, but there was hole in her heart, and despite her constant attempts, nothing seemed to fill it.

She missed her grandparents dearly, and every time she was forced to leave home for Hogwarts, she felt empty. She was very particular about who she let into her heart, and at the moment only three people were allowed in, Mrs. Godwin, Mr. Godwin, and Luna Lovegood. Draco Malfoy had the same pickiness when choosing who he let his guard down for. Only in Draco's case, he found that no one deserved to be let into his heart, with the exception of his mother on certain occasions.

Draco dreaded having the burden of murdering the headmaster carried on his shoulders. 

He also dreaded having to deceive an unknowing girl leading her straight to Voldemort's clutch. Just the thought of what Voldemort was planning to do to this clueless girl made his stomach turn.

Draco knew of Y/n Godwin but had never spoken to her. She was a quiet person. He shuddered as ideas of why Voldemort required her in his possession flooded his mind. Draco pushed these thoughts away quickly and reminded himself that she was just a pawn in a large game of chess. A stupid girl, and nothing more than that. 

This mentality would make it easier to complete his task.

September 1st, 1996 was a cold and windy day. Many students didn't return that year, due to the fear Lord Voldemort would launch an attack on Hogwarts. Y/n Godwin and Draco Malfoy both boarded the Hogwarts express that day. One student trudged to the back of the train and took a seat next to Luna Lovegood and Michael Corner. The other student walked briskly to a compartment filled with excited first years. 

With one glare from the student's face the first years fled leaving an empty compartment where Pansy Parkinson and Blaise Zabini took their seats. Both wore glum expressions.

Michael and Luna knew not to talk to Y/n when she was deep in thought. The Godwins had made sure to notify the pair of the terrible loss Y/n had experienced. Luna opened a novel and began reading whilst humming a quiet tune. Michael also opened a book, but instead of reading, he studied his friend's body language as she gazed out the window. Michael was not as close to Y/n as Luna was, but he still loved her, and worried for her mental state.

Y/n noticed Michaels staring; she also knew that Luna always hummed to her feel better. She smiled at her friends; they were always there to comfort her.

"Shall I get us some candy?" Y/n asked as she got up to catch the trolley.

"That would be nice" Luna replied simply and went back to humming. The girl caught up with the trolley lady and bought some candy for her and her friends. She left swiftly, but not before making eye contact with a pale boy for just a split second. 

Y/n pretended to be interested in her friends' conversation about chocolate frogs, but her mind wandered elsewhere.

Draco Malfoy. She'd gotten through five years of schooling without ever having to speak to the vulgar bully. Y/n always found the boy to be very intimidating, thus giving her more reasons to avoid him at all costs. Still, something about the way he looked at her was curious. It was a look of sympathy and urgency. As if he wanted to warn her of something. Y/n knew the exchange was most likely meaningless, but she was an overthinker and the look in his eyes stayed in her mind for the rest of the day.

Draco knew the exchange was anything, but meaningless. He had been scanning the train for the girl, praying that she just wouldn't show up, but she did. Her features were soft and gentle. Her movements were calm, and her voice was very quiet. She reminded Draco of a helpless deer caught in the headlights. He tried to stop himself from staring, but it was too late. His sad gray eyes met her innocent e/c eyes and he couldn't help but give her a sympathetic look, begging her to leave with his gaze. The glance lasted a total of one second, but Draco said anything and everything that needed to be said with just one look.