Chapter fifteen

Y/n had heard enough. The evidence was too overwhelming. The upset girl took off in the opposite direction and ran. She couldn't go to the common room, because it was likely students were still up and she didn't want to go to her room, because she didn't want to concern Luna when she came to bed, so she ran up the stairs of the Astronomy tower.

Surely Draco wouldn't think to check here? Of course he would, but a part of her hoped he would find her, so she could yell at him.

Y/n sat down on the ledge and leaned her head on the railing. A few tears escaped from her eyes, but she wiped them away quickly. It was stupid of her to be sad. For once in her life, she ignored her intuition and allowed herself to listen to her heart, she should punish herself for such blind actions.

"Y/n" a voice said softly, startling the girl.

"Luna?" Y/n asked as she turned to face her best friend.

"You seem sad"

"I'm fine, don't worry"

"No you aren't" Luna replied motioning to the tears spilling from the girls eyes once again.

"Is this about Draco?"

"Yes" Y/n replied quietly.

"Is he hurting you?"

"No. It's a bit more complicated"

"I see. Well if it makes you feel any better, Draco was the one who asked me to come up here and talk to you. He figured you'd want to talk to a friend first. You know, he seems to care for you an awful lot. I can tell you do too, you seem happier than you've ever been. Only one force I know can do that, Love."

Y/n remained silent taking in the wise words of her friend.

"Can I tell him he can come up?" Luna asked.

Y/n nodded and prepared herself.

"Hey" Draco said softly. Y/n took a deep breath and closed her eyes.

"Oh, the silent treatment, this can't be good" Draco joked.

"Look I'm sorry for not spending time with you at the Party." Draco sighed as he wrapped his arm around the girl.

Y/n gently removed his arm and inhaled sharply.

"Draco. Are you a deatheater?" the girl blurted out.

"What? No. No how could you think such a thing?" Draco's voice began to shake and his palms were sweaty.

"Draco, I know that the paper bag wasn't for Pansy, or you would've just given it to her in the Slytherin common room. It makes absolutely no sense to bring it all the way to Hogsmeade, when you see her daily at Hogwarts." Y/n replied.

"I didn't think through all of the details, I'm not as smart as you" Draco said loudly almost shouting.

"You were smart enough to come up with that story and lie to my face." Y/n shot back.

"I'm not fucking lying"

"Yes you are! You're lying right now! Draco, I heard you talking to Professor Snape"

"You were spying on me?"

"Not intentionally! Harry made me follow him and I happened to hear your conversation!"

Draco sat silently for a moment. He thought of ways he could kill Harry for messing everything up.

The two continued bickering back and forth for what seemed like hours. Both were exhausted and both felt like their lives were pulling at the seams. No one had told the young couple that love wasn't perfect, maybe it was naïve of them to assume they would never hit a rocky patch, maybe they knew they wouldn't last and were just holding on to the last bit of hope in their lives.

Nonetheless it was getting late, and the two sat in absolute silence, both crying to themselves. Had this been any other situation, Y/n would have comforted Draco, but she knew better than to. Boys were stubborn. She couldn't blame him of course, no one had ever seen Draco as vulnerable as he was now.

Draco on the other hand was angry. Angry at his father for ruining his life. Angry at himself for being compliant to the Dark Lord. Angry at Y/n for falling in love with him.

He didn't mean to, but he took his anger out on the girl.

"Fine. I'm a deatheater!" Draco snapped lifting his sleeve to show his mark.

"I cursed Katie Bell! I'm working for the Dark Lord. I didn't even fucking want to date you; I was forced to! I was forced so that I could continue my family's pure bloodline!" 

Without a word, the girl stood up, wiped her tears, and walked away.

Draco watched the tired girl turn away and realized his words were too harsh. He was so used to his father's sharp tongue that he had forgotten it wasn't normal to break someone's heart in the matter of a few words.

"Please don't go" Draco whispered, and Y/n thought for a moment. The girl stopped, not caring to turn around, and listened to what sorry excuse Draco would use next.

To some, giving in may seem weak, but the girl's willingness to listen was one of her strongest characteristics.

"I need you. You're the only good thing in my life. You're the only thing that keeps me going." The boy begged. 

"Draco, that's the problem. I'm not your life jacket. I can't just allow myself to get hurt, so that you can wake up one day and realize you don't need me anymore." She replied before walking away.

Her words stung and she knew it. As much as she wanted to forgive Draco, she knew that it wasn't selfish of her to put herself first sometimes.

Draco leaned his head against the cold railing and shut his eyes. His whole world was falling apart. He had done such a good job at convincing himself he didn't care for the girl. He didn't even mean to make up that lie about his family, it just came out.

Draco felt too numb to cry. He had lost the one person he was afraid of losing, not because he feared the Dark Lord, but because for once in his life he had something that he loved.

He loved Y/n.

But sometimes when you love someone, the best thing you can do is let them go. In this case this was very true. By letting her go he was protecting her from the Dark Lord and from himself. It was best for the both of them. Draco would only hurt Y/n.