Chapter fourteen

December 25th approached quickly, and Hogwarts was decorated brightly with sweet smelling garland and colorful lights. A couple of students even hung mistletoe around the school.

Students rushed through the corridors eager to give and receive gifts. Not a single sullen face could be found, even Professor Snape could be seen with a faint smile on his face (He had received a friendship bracelet from Professor McGonagall who had made one for all of the staff).

In the great hall, owls were dropping packages and letters left and right. Professor Dumbledore made sure that each student received a gift that year. He spent his life savings on sending everyone at Hogwarts a personal gift, being that he wouldn't be needing it anymore.

Y/n walked through the busy halls laughing at the smiling faces. She finally made her way to an empty bench and pulled out a muggle novel that Hermione had gifted her.

She read quietly until she felt someone's warm hands covering her eyes.

"Guess who."

Y/n could identify that voice at any volume, plus his rings were a revealing feature.

"Um... Blaise babe is that you?" Y/n teased.

"What was that?" Draco asked as his hands left her face and fell to her waist spinning her around.

"Oh, Malfoy it's you" Y/n sighed dramatically.

"Are you cheating on me with my best friend?" Draco asked in mock sadness.

"I'm sorry you had to find out this way." Y/n cried.

"You. are. the. worst" Draco smirked as he flung the girl over his shoulder and took off.

"Draco... put...t...t...t...me...down...n...n...n" Y/n shouted.

"I'm afraid I can't do that, love" Draco laughed as he made his way up the astronomy tower stairs causing Y/n to bounce even more.

Once he reached the top, he finally set the girl down in front of him and smiled.

"I have something for you." Draco grinned as he pulled out a tiny black box, handing it to Y/n.

Y/n looked curiously at the boy in front of her and opened the box, to reveal a silver ring resembling Draco's snake ring, but instead was engraved with a scorpion bearing two red jewels as eyes.

"I love it" She gasped as she slid the cold ring onto her finger. Y/n reached into her pocket to retrieve a small white box, holding a golden pocket watch engraved with Draco's initials and his favorite constellation.

"I know pocket watches are a bit old fashioned, but I thought you'd appreciate it"

"It's perfect" Draco smiled as he kissed the girl on the lips.

After spending the entire day laying in the snow with Draco, Y/n headed her room to get ready for Slughorn's party.

She slipped on a simple emerald green dress and did her hair. She and Luna put on their shoes and left to find their dates. Y/n found Draco standing outside of the common room holding a red rose.

Draco's eyes lifted up, as he heard the girl approaching. His heart stopped momentarily at the sight of her standing before him.

"Uh... this is for you" he mumbled shyly as he held out the rose, reverting his gaze to the ground.

"Thank you, it's lovely" Y/n laughed at the boy's flushed cheeks.

"Ready?"

"Yeah let's go" Draco smiled and linked his arm with his date.

Slughorn's party was buzzing with students and teachers. Waiters served assorted hors d'oeuvres and people made small talk whilst drinking brightly colored refreshments.

"I have to use the restroom, but I'll be right back" Draco said before taking off.

"Oh... okay" Y/n stuttered in confusion.

"Have you seen Hermione?" A voice behind the girl asked.

"Sorry Cormac, I have not" Y/n replied plainly at the boy.

"She likes to play hard to get. I guess if I can't find her I'll come back for you" Cormac winked before leaving.

Y/n winced at the sight of Cormac and began to search for Hermione herself.

"Psst"

"Hermione is that you?" Y/n whispered lifting up the linen tablecloth.

"Is Cormac out there?"

"No, he just left. I can't believe you came here with him" Y/n giggled as Hermione emerged from under the table.

"I was hoping he would make Ron jealous, but I suppose my plan backfired"

"Terribly"

"Shoot he's coming back!" Y/n exclaimed sending Hermione running towards the tall curtains.

"Cormac she went that way" Y/n pointed in the direction opposite of Hermione and bit her lip to prevent herself from laughing.

"Oh okay, thanks hot stuff" Cormac said before leaving causing Y/n to cringe.

"He's gross isn't he?" Harry asked taking a seat next to the uncomfortable looking girl.

"Very"

Harry and Y/n discussed their Christmases so far, and continued helping Hermione avoid Cormac at all costs.

She almost forgot that she had been waiting for Draco. He'd been gone for quite a while.

Her thoughts were interrupted by Filch barging in, holding a flustered looking Draco.

"Found this one wandering around the eighth floor" Filch announced proudly.

"Get your hands off me, you filthy squib!" Draco growled.

"Oh Mr. Filch that's Ms. Godwin's date" Professor Slughorn laughed as Mr. Filch hesitantly let go of Draco.

Draco smoothed his jacket and glared at Mr. Filch.

"Sorry about that love" Draco apologized taking his seat.

"It's alright" Y/n whispered, wondering what he possibly could have been doing on the eighth floor.

"Ms. Godwin, may I please steal Mr. Malfoy for a moment" Professor Snape asked, in a strangely polite manner.

"Of course" Y/n answered, though she was growing quite impatient.

Harry glanced at Y/n and motioned for her to follow him. The two curious teens quietly crept out of the party.

"What are we doing?" Y/n whispered. Harry responded, by pointing around the corner at Professor Snape and Draco.

"This is such an invasion of privacy!" Y/n whisper yelled.

Harry only shushed the girl and leaned his head against the wall to hear the conversation more clearly.

Y/n sighed and did the same.

"I swore to protect you. I made the unbreakable vow" Snape seethed.

"I don't need protection. I was chosen for this. Out of all of us, me! I won't fail him" Draco growled.