Chapter 88 : Interrogation

Start from the beginning

I observed him; how his shoulders drooped from exhaustion and how he seemed to look fragile by the second.

How long will he last without feeding?

After our initial conversation with Eros, I realized that if Liam tries feeding on me, it'll agitate the red-eyed demon. But then Liam also has a chance of ascending.

Was that what Hypnos meant when he said Liam gains something every time he heals, feeds, or touches me? Or could there be more?

"Figures," Zion said curtly. "I encountered a few crocottas on my way here. About six in the building."

"That's what you get for denying a flight transportation for free," Eros said teasingly with an eyebrow raised.

Zion glared but didn't say anything else.

"How's Alex?" I asked.

Zion focused on me and I nervously shifted from the intimidation. He softened a bit. "Alex is unconscious at the moment but Eros has appointed Hypnos to wake him up."

I tensed at Hypnos' name. The last I saw the god of sleep, he was trying to make a bargain.

I want Eros' blood

"Is Pedro okay?" I asked.

Zion nodded. "He's safe."

"And Gwen?"

"She's doing great. Still feels a slight pain on her shoulder from Alex's bite. But apart from that, she seems normal."

Damn. I forgot about her wound. How long will it take till she transforms? Will she be loyal to Henry since he's more or less like her leader? And how are we going to reverse it? Better yet, how will we break the news?

Why do I bring up so many questions?

Zion had his eyes on Liam, his forehead scrunched up in puzzlement. "You okay there? You look sick."

"It's nothing," Liam choked out, waving him off.

"We need to get back," I said hurriedly.

Our two hours were almost done and we need to obtain answers from Alex before the ability-trapping anklet wears off. Liam also needs to feed...fast.

The others nodded in agreement and I stretched out my hand, quickly forming a portal. A strong wind rushed in, beckoning us into its swirling depth.

Eros went first. His white wings -- twice as large -- folded onto his body as if to protect him. Liam followed in but Zion hesitated. He veered toward me. His expression was stoic and collected but I could tell what he was thinking.

"You heard," I said.

"Some of it." He grunted. "Care to tell me who they were talking about back there? And what does Eros mean about Liam feeding on you so he ascends?"

Whatever he heard, he definitely wasn't happy about it.

"I'll tell you everything," I answered honestly. "But first we need to deal with Alex."

He pursed his lips but nodded in understanding. He stepped into the portal and I followed immediately.

We arrived in Eros' office. My flat shoes touched the soft red carpet as the portal closed behind me. We breathed in what smelt like new leather. It made Eros' place look so exotic.

"Where is Nancy Drew you rodent!?"

The three of us were greeted by Pedro's voice. We simultaneously turned towards a door to the side. Pedro was beyond it, probably interrogating Alex.