Vampire Romance 4

"Class we have two new transfers today!" The teacher announced cheerfully, ignoring the excited murmurs around the class. "This is Belaire and Alexander, they are a brother and sister who have recently moved to the area, please make them feel welcome!" She turned towards us. "Would you like to tell us a little about yourselves?"

I stood up at the front of the classroom, feeling tired.

I hate high school so much.

I glanced over at Alex, like me he had camouflaged his red eyes with illusion magic, looking like a fairly normal seventeen year old male. He looked over the students, his gaze stopping at the front row near the window, breaking out into a wide smile.

"Hello! I'm Alexander. I'm seventeen years old, and I'm looking forward to getting to know you all much better." His eyes never left the object of their focus while he spoke, the intensity uncomfortable. I followed the trajectory of his gaze, and let out a sigh.

I guess I underestimated the pull of the heroine. I thought uncomfortably to the scene in his bedroom yesterday. He had woken up this morning perfectly normal, but continued to insist that he would go undercover at the school as well. Any time I tried to object he had grown angry, finally snarling at me to mind my own business. Throwing my hands up in the air, I had given up temporarily.

It's like the reasonable brother I've known these past few days was just an illusion.

Everyone had turned towards me, waiting for my introduction. I sighed loudly. "She told you my name already. I'm... eighteen... I guess? I'm here to focus on learning so please keep your distance."

There were a few disgruntled murmurs at my impolite words, but I ignored them. I wasn't here to make friends.

The teacher's smile stiffened in place. "Very... interesting. As for where to sit..." She scanned the room. There appeared to be two open seats, one in the back near the door and the other...

"I guess we'll be neighbors." Alexander grinned at Chelsea and stepped towards the empty seat next to her.

Only to fall flat on his face as I tripped him.

"Sorry, brother dearest, I'm a bit short sighted and need to sit near the front." I stepped on his back, ignoring his grunt of pain and lightly sat down at the desk next to Chelsea. I glanced back at him, noting his gloomy expression and waved cheerfully.

"You..." His voice was a growl, only audible with my better than human hearing, but I interrupted him loudly, giving him a thumbs up.

"Thanks for being so understanding."

Alex glared at me, and I smiled brightly back. I might not have been able to stop him from following the plot so far, but I'm not about to let him flirt with a confused adolescent right in front of me.

After a long moment, he stood back to his feet and headed towards the empty seat in the back.

"Wasn't that a little mean?" Chelsea whispered to me, her eyes following his back a strange light in them. Strangely enough, she wasn't overly concerned about him. If anything she looked... embarrassed. Compared to her tears and tantrums the last time I saw her, she seemed much more reasonable today.

Maybe she's just not a night person?

"It was very kind, actually, once you take a longer view." After all, he had committed double suicide after an unhealthy relationship with her in the original.

She seemed unconvinced. "Then why do you seem so... happy... when you watched him fall on his face?"

Oops, my inner villainess must have been leaking out a bit at that time. It was pretty fun to watch the hero fall though.