Void Between- END

"System!" I shouted into the white void, one hand still holding Liam's tightly. "Stop hiding!"

THUD

Adonis had fallen to the ground, released from my power that had bound him. He stood up shakily, wiping a small amount of blood from the corner of his mouth. "Where did you take me?" He demanded angrily. "Where is this place?"

"This?" I looked around with a slight smile. "This place is the End."

"The End?"

I thought for a moment. "Or perhaps the Beginning? It depends on your point of view, I suppose." I gestured around at the blank whiteness around us "This is the void between, outside of the lower and higher realms, outside of stories. There is nothing here... nothing except memories."

Liam stood protectively near me. "Where is the System?"

"It's here. It's watching. It just doesn't want to admit that it lost. It views me as weak, pointless..."

Blue flames streaked out from out of sight towards my head. Sensing the magical attack, I dodged and waved a hand, countering it with my own power.

"YOU MUST ACCEPT YOUR FATE" The bright blue words briefly appeared in the void, then disappeared just as fast, leaving nothing but an afterimage behind.

"BEL!" Liam had fallen when I dodged, and reached towards me, panicked.

"It's okay. That was just a test." With a grunt of pain, I stood back up again. "REALLY?" I spoke out again. "A sneak attack? Are you really that pathetic?" There was no answer, the System was hiding again.

"Hey!" Adonis had recovered from his shock, and resumed being a pest. "Bel! Tell me what's going on, now!"

I didn't even look in his direction. "No."

"What?! What do you mean, no?!"

"I mean: 'No'." Still looking for any trace of the System, I cast a sympathetic glance towards Liam. "Poor guy."

Liam caught on quick. "Don't worry, Bel, I'll help him!" He cleared his throat, turning towards the enraged hero. "'No' is an English word used to give a negative response. In this case, the word 'no' would indicate a refusal to your request for more information. Similar sounding words, such as 'know' with a 'k' can sometimes be confused depending on the context clues, but that word is generally used to indicate knowledge rather than refusal. So if she had said 'I know' instead..."

"SHUT UP!" Adonis screamed, swinging at fist at Liam, who let him punch him in the chest without any apparent pain. Adonis instead withdrew his hand with a screech, one of his fingers clearly bent at a weird angle.

"Your chest breaks fingers?" I asked with a raised brow.

Liam pulled his collar down, showing off a coat of black scales with a grin. "Dragon skin is tough. Also known as the 'idiot-tax'."

During this exchange, I continued searching with my power, trying to feel the system's presence. "Seems fair."

"Why is it hiding?" Liam asked quietly.

"It doesn't want to face the truth." At my answer, Adonis stopped groaning and looked insulted.

"Why do you answer HIS questions and not MINE?"

"Because he's my husband... and you're annoying." I turned to Liam. "Are you curious?"

Liam smiled at my question. "Very."

"Then I'll explain it to you as we go." I looked around again, sensing that the System had hid itself. "It's hiding within this space, and so I'll need to force it out. Since it wants to hide the truth, I'll show exactly that: the truth."