Reverse Harem 3

I stopped at a store on my way to the coffee shop, humming as I browsed through the aisles. But as I pulled the last of the necessary items off the shelves into my basket, I ran into an unexpected couple.

"BLAIRE!" A young, beautiful girl ran forward, giving me a hug, almost knocking the store basket from my hands. Stabilizing myself, I patted her on the shoulder with my free hand, forcing a friendly grin.

"Hey, Rose."

Rose, the heroine.

She was beautiful, with perfectly styled brunette curls framing a heart shaped face, and large green eyes that seemed to pull you in. Her figure was petite, she gave off the air of something delicate that needed to be protected at all costs.

No wonder this poor side character lost. Even if she's attractive too, standing next to Rose any other girl would seem plain by comparison.

"What are you doing in a pet store?" Rose asked me, frowning.

"Just picking up a few necessary items."

The teenage boy who had been walking beside her reached over, pulling out a book from my basket with a large dog on the cover. "'How to Train Out Bad Habits in Good Dogs'? Are you trying to train a new puppy?"

Rose hugged the boy's arm. "That can't be right, Blaire doesn't have a dog!" She turned to me with a pouting expression. "Did you buy a puppy and not tell me? I thought we were friends!"

The young man hugged Rose tightly, patting her head. "Don't be sad! I'll buy you ten puppies to play with!" He then glared at me. "Why are you bullying Rose like this?"

I stared at the two love birds, my mouth open in shock. I know that the leads in reverse harems can be a little annoying but this is... impressive.

Of course the brain-deficient offended young man was Michael, or male lead #1, Rose's current boyfriend.

He had been a flirtatious, overly romantic type, who treated all girls well, but without committing to anything long term. He saved Rose from being mugged in an alleyway, and fell in love with her immediately. Reforming his play-boy ways, he had dedicated all his time and attention on the heroine, finally achieving his goal of being her boyfriend.

And if this had been a regular romance story, then that would be the end. But this was a reverse harem. So despite his initial success, he constantly had to guard against the advances of my brother and childhood friend, who competed for Rose's affection constantly.

Strangely enough, even though Rose seemed to encourage this behavior, Michael never blamed her for her actions, pinning all the guilt on the heads of his two competitors instead.

As I struggled with how to respond in a civilized way, Rose pushed Michael away, blushing prettily.

"I'm sure Blaire didn't mean to hurt my feelings! She's my best friend! She just made a mistake, and now that she's sorry, of course I'll forgive her!"

"..." When did I say I was sorry?

"I don't have a puppy."

"..."

"..."

The two stared at me in shock, confused as I didn't go along with their bizarre narrative. Finally Michael spoke up, holding up the book in his hands as if it were evidence of wrongdoing.

"Then why are you buying this training material?"

I snatched it back, stuffing it into my basket with a smile. "I'd tell you, but I'd have to kill you."