Fantasy World 2

"No, No, NO! You must rid your mind of all distractions, and find the source of your magic within!" The elder's shriek broke my concentration once more, dissipating whatever progress I had made. I took a deep breath, trying to calm myself down.

You're too small to strangle him, so just let it go.I kept my eyes closed, searching within myself for the source of my magic.

"WHAT ARE YOU DOING?" A loud voice accompanied the crash of the door as someone bounded into the room.

"K'llean, Belaire is trying to practice her magic, you need to be quiet." The elder admonished, his voice nearly as loud as the annoying child standing beside me.

"Hey, why are you practicing your magic already?!" K'llean grabbed my shoulder, shaking me back and forth. "We're not supposed to start for two more years! You're cheating!"

You can't strangle him either. He's just a child. I slowly opened my eyes. "I'm practicing my magic because I want to. You have no right to complain. If you think I'm cheating then work hard to get strong too."

"I'm already strong!"

"Says the boy who was screaming at me to help him."

"SHUT UP!"

I'm sensing that most of our conversations are going to end this way.

To my surprise however, he didn't run off, sitting down beside me in a meditative posture instead. Catching my curious look, he turned his head away, snorting angrily.

"It's not that I want to spend time with you or anything! I just want to be the strongest and won't let you get a head start."

I closed my eyes once more, deciding to ignore him for my mental health.

A short while later, I sensed a glowing ball of light within the core of my body. "I think I've found it!"

"Really?" The elder's surprised shout nearly broke my concentration again, but I held on, keeping all my focus on the bright light. "Good job, it normally takes much longer to find the magic source!"

"I'LL FIND IT FASTER!"

I sighed, ignoring K'llean's shout, opening my eyes to look at the elder. "Is it supposed to be so... small?" I couldn't remember too well from my character's prior memories her initial training, but the moment of her death was vividly stuck in my mind. At that time, it was less like a glowing ball and more like an all-consuming force, ballooning outwards to be large enough to contain the entire forest. But the light I could see right now was about the size of a grapefruit.

The elder shrugged. "It will grow a small amount as you mature, reaching its final size by the age of adulthood, but it should only be about twice the size of what you see now."

"Is there any way to make it grow bigger?"

"I'm glad you asked!" The older elf grinned from ear to ear.

"... Can I take back my question?"

"The best way to increase one's magical power is to combine it with another powerful elf through a life oath!"

A life oath.

A wave of anger, revulsion and sorrow hit me, so strongly that I could only fall out of my chair onto my hands and knees, retching violently.

The life oath is a sacred oath between two elves. It binds the souls of the two together, a knot so tight that it can only be broken by death. It allows the sharing of magic powers, of thoughts, emotions...

The priestess had experienced all of K'llean's emotions, his happiness and all the tender feelings he had... towards the Chosen One. She endured as the other half of her soul, her life's partner betrayed her, able to feel that he had no sense of guilt even as he broke her heart over and over. He had even barred himself from feeling her side, unwilling to share the despair that he had caused, a move she had refused to make as it causes significant physical pain to the other partner.