Sci Fi - 5

The school was greatly relieved to hear that I had made a Connection and was no longer a danger to myself and others. They immediately rescinded my suspension and "encouraged" me to resume training with my new partner as soon as possible. I found the quick 180 amusing, but didn't argue.

It took multiple video calls with Alaira's father to reassure him that everything was okay, and a few more to prevent him from throwing a parade for Liam to thank him for matching his daughter. His tears of joy at the news was a complicated moment for me.

I had felt a deep sense of joy, but it was an emotion that didn't belong to me... it belonged to Alaira. Watching him celebrate his daughter's recovery felt hypocritical, knowing that in the world that I hadn't taken over, his daughter hadn't had a good end. She had died alone and afraid, her mind fragmented.

But there was no way to tell him that.

The mission completion status on my communication device had risen quickly from 1% to 42%. Liam and I spent every waking moment together, talking, joking, and learning about each other. We practiced making the connection with the Mech, powering and controlling it now a smooth, painless process. It was natural, coming as easily to me as breathing. Working with him felt less like learning with a new partner as gaining back a missing part of me.

I was happy.

But not everyone was glad to hear we had matched.

Shortly after our match was made public, Liam and I were walking down the hallway after class, and were forced to stop by a young, angry woman blocking our path.

"It's a lie!" Princess Ilene glared at Liam as she faced us down. "William can't be a real Connector! He's always been just a useless waste. He's a stain on the royal family!"

Liam seemed unfazed by his sister's cruel words, as if he were used to it. The lack of reaction and the implications behind it made me even angrier. I stepped forward, hiding him partly behind me, and smiled pleasantly. My expression and pleasant tone obviously confused the princess, who took a step back.

"Ilene, Ilene, there's just so much wrong with what you said... I don't even know where to begin!" I shrugged. " But, correcting idiocy IS my calling in life, so let me give it a shot:"

Ilene's face was red with rage, but I ignored her incoherent sputtering, holding up a finger.

"First, Liam is capable of making the connection. He just had a strong barrier. Obviously it isn't impossible, or he and I wouldn't be matched. " I held up a second finger. "Secondly, and more importantly: even if he COULDN'T make the connection, he still wouldn't be useless. He's a kind, wonderful person, and that's more than you can say about most Guardians or Connectors... present company included."

" How dare..." Princess Ilene took a step back. "What are you trying to say?"

I blinked, shocked "Oh, was I not being obvious enough? I don't like you. I think Liam is a much better human being than you, and find it pitiful that you try to derive your self worth from putting him down."

Liam stepped forward, grabbing my hand. "It's ok..."

"No, its not. You don't deserve for people to call you trash." I felt emotional, as if something deep inside me was trying to break free.

"It's always been like this." He shrugged, "I'm used to being alone."

____________________________

"Friends, family?"

The man in front of me was smiling at my question, but the expression was so sad it made me want to cry.

"None." He twisted his hands in his lap, looking away. "I'm supposed to be alone."