Higher Realm 6

Before I could spend too much time processing my new aquatic form, I felt ripples in the water from an impact above me. Looking up, a body had fallen into the water, slowly sinking into the depths. I glanced around, the ship this human had fallen from was already heading out of sight. Was this an accident or did someone throw them over? Shrugging my shoulders at the question, I swam up towards the drowning human. Might as well do my good deed for the day. Maybe I'll get lucky and it will be Liam!

I hadn't gotten the story mission yet, so I had to be careful as I progressed until I knew more about the world around me. I grabbed the human, recognizing it to be a human male, and dragged his body towards the shore. There was what appeared to be a deserted beach nearby, and this seemed as good as any place to dump him.

Ugh! This dude is HEAVY out of the water!

With more awkward splashing and thrashing around than I would admit to, I finally dumped my human burden onto the sandy beach. Once he was safely on the ground and not crushing my poor mermaid back and arms, I sat down on the beach and studied him. Fortunately, although I was aquatic in nature, I appeared to be able to breath oxygen. I did feel a bit dry and uncomfortable being only half covered by water. Knowing I shouldn't stay out long, I carefully looked over the human.

Hmm... he should probably not be face first in the sand with his butt in the air. That seems to be more likely to suffocate him than save him. Oops.

With that, I flipped him over onto his back, brushing the wet sand from his nose and mouth with a few quick swipes in hopes that he wouldn't breathe it in. He was a young man, with even, well-proportioned features, albeit somewhat obscured by clumps dirt and sand. His hair color was difficult to distinguish underneath the mud, but seemed to be a light brown or blond.

My heart sank. Probably not Liam then. He usually had dark or black hair when he entered stories. Said it was the Systems way of "identifying" him as the villain.

Still, probably should wake him up and see his eyes, just to be sure, Better safe than sorry.

I reached out and grabbed a nearby piece of driftwood, and poked him randomly. He didn't stir at first, and I sighed with impatience, fighting the urge to swing the stick or at least poke harder.Finally, my aggressive stick poking seemed to do the job, and the human woke up.

His eyes fluttered open, and focused on me.

They were grey.

I groaned with disappointment, dropping my poking stick. Not Liam for sure. Suddenly, I felt a deep sense of longing and attraction from somewhere within me, but not from me. It was the feelings of this character. Obviously, someone she might have fallen in love with at first sight. I pushed the feelings away. They were not helpful.

I turned back to the ocean, preparing to swim away. As I did so, however, the man spoke up.

"Wait!"

The desperation in his voice made me turn around.

"You saved me! Who are you?" He studied my face intently.

I shook my head. I didn't know if I could speak, Didn't mermaids sing? But I wasn't gonna figure that out in front of this stranger. I didn't want to give him anything to work with.

"Please, let me repay you, kind lady! I will give you anything you desire, even..." He paused with a slight redness tinging his cheeks. "...up to half my kingdom."

UGH! HE'S A PRINCE! 100% THE HERO OF THE STORY! RUN AWAY! ABORT! ABORT! I shook my head faster and sank into the water. Fortunately, this guy didn't seem to be possessed by Adonis. Just more like a run-of-the-mill hero-type character.