Side Part 2 - Liam

"Every dragon has a treasure."

Grandfather spoke seriously to me, his large silver form towering over my small one. I never felt fear or discomfort facing him, despite his enormous size, however, because his eyes were always filled with warmth and love.

"Like gold?" I asked, rolling on the ground to scratch the new scales on my back. "Or diamonds?"

"Treasure for a dragon is much more than a simple shiny object." Grandfather watched my actions with a toothy grin. "It represents something much greater than that. A treasure can't be owned by the dragon, quite the opposite in fact."

He reached out a claw, flipping me over and patting the dirt and grass from the ridges on my back. I looked up at him, stunned by the seriousness in his gaze. "A dragon's treasure is whatever owns his heart. It is a piece of their soul, the truest home a dragon can have is by his treasure's side. If something happens to the treasure, it destroys the heart of the dragon... so we protect our treasures with our lives."

"Wow! I want a treasure!" I tried to fly, but my immature wings could only lift me a few feet before I fell back down to the ground.

"Oh Little One, you will." He assured me. "Every dragon does."

"Wait... then what's your treasure?"

His eyes grew very sad. "My treasure was your grandmother. I loved her more than life itself."

"My grandmother? I shook my head, confused. "Where is she?"

"She passed, Child. She had to leave me first." His eyes had tears in them. "Dragons are nearly immortal, but there are still far too many things that can end our journeys early."

"I thought you said if something happens to your treasure...?"

"Her death destroyed me... I wanted to follow her." He stared out at the sky. "But your parents had fallen in the same battle... and I couldn't leave my Little One alone. You were just an egg then." His eyes focused back on me. "I will always miss her, my heart will never be the same. However, she would want me to care for you, raise you well. You are our grandchild, a living proof of her existence, and I am fortunate to have the chance to be your family."

I rushed over and hugged Grandpa's leg. "It's okay! Don't be sad! I love you!"

"I love you too!" He smiled again. "And one day, Little One, when you find your treasure, I hope that you both know nothing but peace and joy. "

"I'll find my treasure! And then you can live with both of us!"

His large claw rested gently on my head. "I would love that."

I went to sleep that night, dreaming of family and a bright future ahead.

The next day, I lost everything.

_______________________________

I was playing in a field, chasing butterflies. I scampered after a bright blue one, capturing it gently between my claws.

"Pretty!" I admired its big blue wings. "I wish I could fly like you! Grandpa says I need to grow a few more years before my wings will be big enough." My voice dropped to a whisper. "But I practice anyways! When I can fly I'll go looking for my treasure! And then I will grow up big and strong and protect everyone, so no one has to be sad like my grandpa ever again!"

The butterfly flapped its wings nervously, and I opened my claws to release it. "Go home, butterfly! Bye bye!"

I watched as it flew away... directly into a blue portal that materialized in front of me. The poor creature was incinerated as I stared, horrified.