Chapter 29: Even Your Existence Is Suspect

****

It's only the next day when yet another piece of the puzzle reveals itself.

They, his shields, are escorting him back to his room to change before he's meant to meet with Hoseok and Soobin's arm darts out to stop his advance. Their eyes are locked on the double doors and Jeongguk's heart rate increases, beating wildly in his chest as he sees the gap between the doors.

Someone broke in, he thinks, and there's a snarl in his mind as Taehyung hears the thought.

Yeonjun pulls his pistol from his holster and hurries towards the door, his steps silent across the marble. Soobin stays with Jeongguk, body positioned just in front of him. The queen can see him pull his gun out as well, muscles tensing as he waits for his partner's response- and it's a long few minutes before Yeonjun steps back out, face set in a hard line.

"It's clear," he says, but he doesn't sound happy about it. Taehyung is silent as Jeongguk follows Soobin in, hands clenched tight at his sides.

The state of his room immediately puts him on edge. He's spent enough time by himself in this room for the last few weeks to know when something has been moved.

The papers on his side table have been shuffled, his makeup has been shifted to the side. The door to his bathroom is cracked open. Breathe, darling, Taehyung suddenly urges and Jeongguk startles, lungs expanding with a deep breath. His hands unclench, blood rushing in his ears. He hadn't even realized he'd frozen up, heart pounding in his chest. I don't hear anything but you three.

"I've checked everything, Your Majesty," Yeonjun reports and Jeongguk gives a sharp nod, jaw clenching. "The lock was picked. There's no sign of anything missing, no window broken. "

Jeongguk hears the words but he can only stare at the state of his room, the information barely registering. "They went through my things," he says, eyes raking over his vanity. He can't even describe how...violated he feels just at the thought of it.

"We have to insist you do not sleep here tonight, Your Majesty," Soobin continues but Jeongguk shakes his head. "Your-,"

Jeongguk holds up a hand, cutting him off. "They've made their move and I need to make mine," he says quietly, and Soobin's brow pinches. He continues, moving towards his closet. "They were looking for something, clearly." The door is open and he steps inside, skin crawling. His gowns are untouched, still perfectly spaced along the bar they are hung on, but the drawers with his lingerie are still ajar. Nausea rises up inside of him, throat constricting.

There's the sound of footsteps approaching before Yeonjin pipes up again, his voice quiet. "What would you like us to do?" He asks, and Jeongguk slams the drawers shut, nails scraping against the wood.

"I want you to check the cameras. I want to know the name of every person who's walked through the Citadel today," he orders. The silence in his mind is tense, Taehyung listening to the thoughts racing through his brain. "I want to know why they're here and where they've been seen."

Check the servants, Taehyung suddenly growls and Jeongguk frowns. No one has been granted permission to be our room without our presence. Not a single servant made note of that?

Jeongguk repeats that, mind whirling at the possibility, and his Shields mirror his frown.

"Stay with His Majesty," Soobin tells his partner and Yeonjun nods. "I'll check with security, keep your phone handy." And soon Jeongguk is left alone with only Yeonjun, standing silently in his closet.

He sighs, turning to the large ottoman centered in the room and dropping onto it. He leans back on his palms, head tipping back to stare up at the ceiling. The Shield shifts on his feet, hands linking behind his back. "What are you thinking, Yeonjunnie?" Jeongguk asks, eyes tracing the gold along the moulding..