Chapter 12: A Train Of Lace And Blood

****

"Don't know why I can't stay in the room," Taehyung grumbles, hands cupping Jeongguk's neck gently. He reaches up, thumbs at his lip gently. His skin is soft from his- their- bath, except while the king is dressed, he stands in a robe.

Jeongguk only smiles, leans in the few spare inches to kiss him, muffling the disgruntled noise Taehyung lets out as he avoids the question. "It's a surprise, Taehyungie." He says into the kiss, his own hands rising to circle his wrists. "You're gonna love it." He assures, and Taehyung only hums. Gives him a small, fond smile.

"Well, then I guess I shall have to wait, won't I?" He returns, and his hands finally drop from his body. "Before I leave, however, I have a gift for you." He steps back, moving towards the large vanity he had put into their room. Jeongguk took his skincare very seriously and Taehyung hadn't batted an eye at the price or request. Within a few hours it had been set up, brand new cosmetics laid out across the surface as well.

Jeongguk doesn't think he's ever going to get used to the expected extravagance of his new life.

The king leans over for a moment, grabbing a box from one of the drawers. It's small, black with silver clasps.

"What is it?" Jeongguk asks, holding his hands out for the gift. It's small, could be a ring or a bracelet- although he knows that whatever it is, he'll love it regardless.

Taehyung rests it in his palms gently, curling his fingers around his. "Just another way to show them that you're treasured. Adored."

Jeongguk grins, pulling the box to his chest. "You just want everyone to know I'm yours." He teases and Taehyung only grins back, fangs hidden in his pretty smile. Beautiful, yet dangerous, he thinks.

"As if there was ever any doubt." Taehyung shoots back. "Open it."

So Jeongguk does, biting his lip as he moves to thumb open the box.

Jeongguk gasps, his fingers delicately brushing over the jewels. Two earrings nestled on black satin, brilliant diamonds framing blood-red rubies. "Taehyungie..." He breathes, looking up at him. Eyes stinging.

Taehyung's smile softens. "I hoped the red would match." He says, glancing over to where Jeongguk has hidden his chosen outfit in the closet.

Jeongguk giggles, holding the box close to his chest. "They're perfect." He smiles at him, eyes a little wet. Taehyung cups his cheek again, leans in to kiss him one last time.

"I will be waiting for you." He says, stepping away like it's a chore. He holds his hand until they're too far away, Jeongguk's fingers slipping from his. Taehyung gives him a look over his shoulder, keeping eye contact until the door shuts behind him.

Jeongguk flushes, smiling to himself. So hopeless, he thinks. He's so hopelessly gone for him.

He can hear Taehyung's steps fade off after a brief pause, and when there's nothing but silence again he moves towards the vanity. Stares at himself in the mirror. He's flushed, skin pink from both the shower and from Taehyung's affections. The red silk of the robe contrasts well with his paler skin, the velvet edges soft against his neck and shoulders.

It's excessive, but he wants to feel expensive tonight.

He sets the box down gently. He'll get to them in a moment, he has a few other things he wants to do first. He turns towards their closet, where his outfit of choice is hung up. Taehyung might have an idea of what he has planned, but...

His fingers brush over the satin and velvet, nails catching gently on the small jewels.

The gown is gorgeous- a cinched waist and a tight bodice fitted to him perfectly, with long sleeves that trail far beyond his wrists and fingers- however, it's the article he's had stashed at the back of the closet that's truly the beauty of the night.