Chapter 20: A Promise Renewed, Rekindled, and Reborn

****

"Hey, Taehyungie?" Jeongguk watches from his spot on their bed as his king looks up from the papers in his hands, a tablet resting on the table. Taehyung gives him his full attention, dropping the papers into his lap. Jeongguk's cheek is squished against his palm, legs swinging as he sprawls out across the bed."We're going to be together forever, right?" He doesn't know where the question comes from, but he is not worried about the answer. He smiles and his heart skips when Taehyung mirrors it.

The king rises, tossing the papers to the side. They were reports from the captain and Jeongguk has no doubt they're important but he doesn't dare push him away as Taehyung approaches. In the days since his time with Yoongi, and Taehyung's meeting his Lords, things have gotten crazy. It seems with every move the rogue coven makes they are becoming more and more of a threat.

Taehyung doesn't seem too bothered by leaving the work untouched for now, however.

He rounds the bed, climbing up onto it with a grace Jeongguk has admired from the moment they met. A predator in every sense of the word, he thinks as he rolls onto his back. Taehyung kneels above him, palms planted by his head.

"Are you my prey?" Taehyung asks with a smirk and Jeongguk's hands move to slip under his shirt, palms sliding over cool skin.

"I'd let you eat me," he shoots back, a cheeky little smile on his lips and Taehyung huffs out a laugh. He drops down and Jeongguk lets out a soft moan into the kiss he's pulled into. He licks into his mouth, tongue curling against Jeongguk's. "Taehyungie-,"

"Of course we are," Taehyung interrupts, lips sliding across his jaw. Jeongguk's head tips back and Taehyung lets out a little groan as his nails rake down to his belt. "Who else would I spend my eternity with but you?" Jeongguk's smile widens and Taehyung presses in close, settling between Jeongguk's thighs. "'Going to spoil you for the rest of our lives, lovely," he promises and Jeongguk's arms wrap around his waist and tug him closer. He follows easily and soon they're wrapped up in each other.

Jeongguk wiggles so he's tucked under his chin, more than content with how tightly Taehyung's arms are wrapped around him. "Are you gonna hold me like this forever?" Jeongguk asks, face smushed against his collarbone, and he can feel Taehyung nod.

"Never going to let you go." His king says and Jeongguk hums.

"What about all the pet names?"

He's just teasing now and he hears Taehyung laugh, feels his chest shake as his breath ruffles his hair. "I'll give you a new one every day."

Jeongguk giggles at his response and tips his head back to stare into those impossibly dark eyes he adores so much. "You don't break your promises," he reminds him, "so you gotta promise me we're gonna be together forever." He demands with an exaggerated pout.

"Oh sweetheart," Taehyung sucks on his teeth before a hand tucks his hair behind his ears. A thumb brushes over his cheekbone. "I made that promise the moment you told me you didn't want to leave," he whispers and Jeongguk's eyes sting as his chest tightens. "I do not think I have the words to properly convey how much you mean to me, Jeongguk," Taehyung confesses and the lighthearted atmosphere fades as tears well in Jeongguk's eyes. "I remember the years I spent alone and I am so thankful that you stumbled into my life."

"I don't like to think where I'd be if I hadn't found you," Jeongguk whispers back, and his king smiles.

He kisses him again, cradles his face between his palms. "You will never have to find out," he promises, his voice firm. "Somehow I know it was always meant to be us." Jeongguk's lip trembles and Taehyung kisses him again. "My dear, do not cry," he coos and he presses little kisses against his cheeks, eyelashes, even one between his brows. "You know my heart aches when you do."