Chapter Twenty One

Tony's POV

I rub my chin with my fingers as I gaze out the window; the view beneath us was covered with grey clouds. Even the whole day felt miserable, not once was there a moment of content. Dread pooled me as the sight was dull, my stomach crumpled with anxiety as I felt void and empty.

The second I received a phone call from Dante, all I could think about was going back home.

Although it was a very risky job, today I was flying out of Italy back to America to see Constantino possibly for the very last time.

When Dante revealed that he was on his last days, I felt myself crumbling apart. This all happened because of the fact that he was shot nearly a year ago. That day, I thought I watched Constantino take his last breath but I was wrong. His health was deteriorating by the passing minute so Mom wanted all of us together, just so we could say goodbye to him together. Even though he makes stupid decision, he was still our father at the end of the day. He may not be my real father, but he still treated me like his own.

After what felt like an eternity, we landed and now, I was on my way to the estate, the one I left behind nearly a year ago.

On the bright side, I was going to see everyone. Finally.

Trepidation filled my system as the car ride was filled with complete silence. I felt my throat tickling every time I tried to push down the emotions because I didn't want to cry. Why should I cry anyway? Constantino was going to fight this, he was not living his last days.

As we drive into the driveway of the estate, my heart sank because I've realised how long it has been since I've been here. It really made me wonder how on Earth I managed to stay away from my family for this long. The car came to a slow stop and eventually, I was gazing up at the huge estate. My stomach quivered as I climb out the car and glance at the huge estate building before the tinted windows now, I felt like as if this was my first time in America.

Housekeeping arrived and took my belongings, along with that Dante greeted me at the front door. When I reached closer to him, I embraced him. He wasn't crying but he was distraught however, he was excellent at hiding everything. He didn't show any emotions but I could tell this had been weighing down on him and it caused him to have many sleepless night.

"We're so glad to have you back fratello." He mumbled, I nodded my head and fight my frown with a smile.

The fact that the atmosphere around the estate was so disappointing, it felt so unfamiliar. When I walked in, a wave of nostalgia struck me because the smell of the estate welcomed me; it smelt like home.

"Where is everyone? Where's mom?"

Dante looked away and frowned as he shook his head. A second later, another presence join us. When I crane my neck towards the person, a smile reached my lips when I saw Fabio beaming a smile back at me. I feel whole again, I felt complete. I don't know what I would do without these boys, they are my family.

"Madre is upstairs in her room. She's barely eating."

"Let me try and speak to her. She might listen." I suggest and Dante nodded his head.

After a moment, I reach mom's room. The whole estate was so quiet, it already felt like Constantino was gone. I exhale a breath and knock on mom's door before I push it slightly. I push myself in and scrutinise the room, looking for her. She was sitting on her bed as she leaned back and closed her eyes however, her attention was drawn to me when she opened her eyes and watched me for a second, before her eyes widened at the realisation.