"No you can't." She interjected.

"Fine you're right. But while I was at the hospital, I may have watched some videos and asked my mom for some help since I knew you wouldn't be able to." I knew that Cassie wasn't going to be able to cook or really get out of her bed for a few days, so I asked my mom for some tips and recipes as well as the internet. You can learn anything on YouTube nowadays. And I know we could just order food in, but I thought that this would be more thoughtful and make my image a little better in her head.

I think the idea worked because a look of awe and appreciation crossed her face. "Shawn. You learned to cook because of me? That's so sweet." She spoke a little more quietly and looked down.

"Well........you know." I said to break the silence, feeling really good about my decision to learn to cook. "I'll just surprise you." I looked at her one last time before turning to leave.

I only took one step before I heard her speak up.

"Wait Shawn!" She called. "Come here for a sec." I turned around and made my way towards her. She was sitting up and patted the spot next to her so I would sit, a thoughtful look upon her face.

"Yeah?" I asked once I was seated. I wasn't sure what she was going to say.

She pursed her lips, probably thinking about how to word her thoughts. "Listen, I just really want to thank you for everything you've done for me in the past week. I really appreciate it. And I really want to thank you for last night." At that she got really quiet, almost a whisper. "That dream really messed me up yesterday and I'm sorry I woke you up, I..." She sighed and looked up. I rubbed her leg as she spoke, to comfort her. "...and you really didn't have to sleep here last night, I was just so emotional for no reason, I mean, it was just a dream! I don't know why I let it affect me that way, but anyway," she shook her head to get back on topic, "thank you." She looked into my eyes.

"No problem." I smiled at her.

Then her face changed to a strained one and I heard her gulp. "You're a really good friend."

"You're a really good friend."

"Friend."

Ugh. I know that we're just friends for now, but hearing that word really sucks. I think it's become my least favorite word.

It's all I could think about as I made breakfast for us. I keep telling myself that it's not going to stay that way; that I'm going to make her change her mind, but I just wish her mind was already changed.

Pushing that thought aside, I continued to make the only breakfast food I knew how to make, cinnamon French toast. I hope she likes it.

I divided the pieces of French toast evenly on our plates and added some raspberries, which I know she likes, and picked up the plates and forks to bring to her room. I stopped outside the door, took a deep breath and made my way in.

"I'm back......and with food!" I plastered a smile on my face.

She was sat on the edge of the bed, her head turning towards me when I entered.

"Hey," she paused. "Do you think we can eat outside? I need to get out of here." She had a pleading look.

I felt kind of bad. She's been locked up inside for over a week. The only time she got outside was when we moved her from the hospital to here.

"Yeah, of course." I smiled. "You know it's cold outside though, right?" I asked. The mid-November air in Toronto was no joke.

"Yeah, I just can't stay in here any longer." She chuckled.