Chapter 2

Kayley's POV

As I sat on the couch cuddling with Niall on that cold December day, I got a sudden chill. I shivered and Niall pulled the blanket off the back of the couch and wrapped it around the both of us.

"Thank you," I said.

He leaned over and kissed my forehead. "Anything for you, babe."

We went back to watching Wipeout. Oh, those big red balls crack me up. No homo whatsoever. The man jumped onto the first one and bounced off, hitting the water with a huge splash. I started cackling. I remembered what Alice had told me one time, that cackling was not attractive, so I lessened my cackling into a very bad fit of giggles. Niall was chuckling beside me, mostly laughing at my reaction. I sighed and wiped the tears from my eyes. I could feel my face get less red each second after I calmed down. I suddenly sat up straight.

"What's wrong, Kay?" he asked. I didn't really mind being called Kay so much now, since I had to accept the fact that he was gone. Also, Kay was actually sort of a little memory of him that I could take with me wherever I wanted.

"Be right back!" I squeaked as I ran to the bathroom. I slammed the door and peed. Yes, I made all that commotion out of having to pee. I do that almost every time. I flushed and washed my hands.

I looked down at my wrist and saw the faint outline of 'Unloved' carved into my skin. I ran my finger over it and found that it was still slightly raised. Jordan made that mark five months ago. Thank God when we got to the hospital, Niall later told me that he had called the cops and had him and Christie arrested for kidnapping and attempted man slaughter. I sighed and closed the toilet lid so I could sit on it. I thought back to how bad it was, locked up in that room for days, getting slapped or punched or kicked if I said anything. And if it annoyed them a lot, they took out the knife.

I sat there for a while with my head in my hands, letting the tears turn splotches of my light gray Nike sweatpants into dark gray. I heard a knock on the door and I sniffed.

"Come in!" I called.

Niall cracked the door open just as a precaution. Once he saw I wasn't naked or anything, he opened the door wider and walked in. He kneeled in front of me.

"You're thinking about it again, aren't you?" he asked.

I let another tear slip down my cheek as I answered, "How could I not? I have a four constant reminders!"

"And what would those four reminders be?"

I pointed to my right wrist, one. My left wrist, two. I lifted up my pant leg and pointed to the scar there, three. I pointed to my head, four.

"What happened to your head?" he asked.

"The memories," I said quietly.

He bit his lip and nodded before he kissed the tears off my eyelashes.

"How bout I go make you some soup? Ya want soup?" he asked me.

I can't really said I laughed. I half smiled and blew more air through my nose than normal while I nodded. He helped me up off the toilet. His smile faded instantly as he dropped my hands.

"What?" I was kind of alarmed.

"You washed your hands, right?" he inquired. I rolled my eyes and fell toward him, right into his arms. His chest rumbled under my ear and I smiled. Niall bent down and picked me up bridal style. He set me down on the couch and laid the blanket over me. I thanked him as he went upstairs for something. He came back down with one of my old Nike hoodies. He tossed it on my face as he went to go make me some soup.