Chapter 27

VIRAGO

My weak body sat in the middle of the room. Daylight finally arrived and I groaned, holding my knees to my face. Another day without sleep. When was the last time I slept? Three, four days ago? A week ago? Even if I did, the last time I slept was about an hour. I have to stay up. If I don't, he'll just take advantage of my body.

The room began to melt, an illusion of Lucifer's room back at his manor appeared. Here we go again. I could take it this time. Ignoring them will be the best way. Not a single word will leave these lips. I didn't move a muscle as a fake Pride walked in.

Just another stupid illusion.

Pride gasped. "Mother, it's you!"

He always made him say that.

Pride squat down next to me. "Mother, don't you see me? You're okay!"

I remained quiet.

"The boys and I came back to Earth to help the Vampyres cross to Hell but...but we don't need to anymore! You're safe!"

Not a single word.

Pride hugged me. So he must be pretending to be him this time.

"Mother, please. It's me, Pride. You remember me, right?"

His words wavered but I didn't budge. If I stay still, he'll leave. Hopefully this time he won't hurt me using Pride's face.

Standing up, he called for the boys. Every single one of my fake children stumbled through the door. They all hugged me. They begged me to speak. He begged me to say something. I'm not safe. He said the same thing everyday, using them to make me feel like I'm going back home. The illusions all spoke. I listened, but not an ounce of belief sparked in me.

"What is Michael planning now?" I sighed. "When will this end?"

They stopped.

I knew it.

"We have to do something," Pride whispered. "We'll talk to her, one by one."

Six of them left, leaving Pride behind. He tried to speak to me again, but I remained frozen on the floor. Turning my head away from him, I let my hair cover my face. If I look at him, I'll cry. That's what he wanted – to see how broken I was inside.

Pride sighed and then left. Envy entered. One by one they all spoke to me. Wrath was the last one. He reached for me while sitting on his knees.

"Mother, it's me."

It's not you. It's never you.

"Come on." His voice broke. "You're home. You're safe."

"Virago."

Ice crawled up my back. I held my breath. When did he come in? I didn't hear the door.

Wrath gasped. "Father, what hap–"

"I'll explain later. Leave us. I'll try to speak to her."

My eyes widened as my heart jolted in panic. Looking up, I met Wrath's eyes. "No! Don't leave me with him!"

It was always like this since the first day the boys told me Lucifer was killed. He makes me believe my kids were here to save me. Then Lucifer comes in, but it was just Michael the entire time.

Wrath softened his features. "Mother, why–"

Shaking my head, I crawled back. "Not again! He's always him! I don't want to be alone with him!"

Lucifer touched Wrath's shoulder. Wrath remained still but sighed and walked towards the door.

"No!" I cried. "No, don't go!"

Although he wasn't real, I still begged for him to stay with me. Wrath opened the door and came to a halt. He gripped the doorknob, his shoulders fell. Then he left.

Lucifer, Michael, got down on one knee. "Virago, it's me."

Whimpering, I crawled away from him. My back hit the wall, pushing a sob that was trapped inside me.

"Michael, I know it's you!" I cried. "Don't touch me!"

He dropped on his other knee, pain twisting his face as he reached forward. Screaming, I hid my face. Although the wall kept me in place, I still tried to get a few inches away from him. I don't want him to touch me. I don't want him to look at me. The last time he was in here, he used Lucifer's face while he beat me into submission.

"Please, Virago," he said softly. "You have to believe me. It's really me."

"You make him say the same thing every day! All of you are fake! Illusions!"

"Baby, look at me."

"You're not real...he said you died," I whimpered, my body rocking. "It's my fault...all my fault..."

He began to tear up, watching the last few of my pieces crumble. "Virago, please...I'm here."

Blinking through the tears, I shook my head. He reached out his other hand and I flinched. My eyes drop to his hand. Any moment now he'll snap and do something that'll leave me more broken than I was before.

Then I saw his scar.

Snatching his hand, I rubbed the scar repeatedly – over and over until our skins burned. Michael never had the scar when he used Lucifer's body.

He let me continue the harsh rubbing and scratching, not caring if it caused any pain. It didn't come off.

He was real...

I stopped. My lips wobbled as I looked at his blue eyes. "Lucifer?"

He smiled, crying with joy. "Yeah, it's me."

I threw myself on him, sobbing loudly. "Lucifer!"

Our bodies crashed together. My heart filled up with everything it's been missing as he wrapped his arms around me. I held him tight until I couldn't breathe, gripping his shoulders.

"It's me, baby, it's me," he whispered. "I'm here now."

"How did I–"

As my hands touched his back, the strong smell of blood penetrated my clogged nose. Lucifer's arms slowly slipped from our embrace.

"What did you do?" I whimpered.

Raising my shaking hands, I found them covered in black blood. He remained silent.

"Lucifer, what did you do?!"

His arms dropped to my hips, barely having the power to continue our embrace. "You're safe...that's all that matters."

Then he collapsed, head resting on my shoulder then falling to my lap. "Lucifer! You're not–"

He gripped my dress and winced. "It's okay. You're okay."

The two long blood marks running down his back soaked his shirt. As I slowly pulled up his shirt, my entire being ached for the man who has been through so much his entire existence.

"Your wings," I choked out, my heart cracking back into pieces. His dark blood dripped from the gashes and on to the floor. "Your wings are gone."