Chapter 18

VIRAGO

The birds chirped, waking me up from my slumber. A warm breeze brushed over my cheeks and I rolled over. What a horrible nightmare that was. That felt too real. Snuggling deeper into my blanket, I sighed as I continued listening to the birds sing. They were really vocal this morning.

Wait.

Birds?

There aren't any birds in Hell that could make beautiful noises like that.

Snapping my eyes open, I came face to face with no Lucifer beside me. Immense panic grew throughout my body and I sat upright.

I'm back in my old room, back in my cottage.

"What the fuck?" I gasped. "What the fuck?!"

Jumping out of my old bed, I ran outside of the cottage. Everything was the same – the woods, my garden, the dress I made after Lucifer told me about the future. Shit, even my hair was braided how I used to do it back at my tribe. My breathing grew irregular. I screamed for Lucifer and my kids, hyperventilating as I ran around the cottage.

"Lucifer!" I cried. "Pride! Wrath!"

Fear swarmed over me. I gripped the dress, ripping it to shreds, This can't be real. This can't be real. I have to wake up.

Then the door to the cottage swung open. Lucifer ran outside. Taking a step back, I ignored his smile.

"Virago, you're finally awake!"

"What happened?! I went to get water and then I saw Hades and then Kristie was there and–"

Lucifer held my face and spoke in a calming tone. "Virago, you were in a coma ever since Michael hurt you."

Shoving his hands off of me, I shook my head and took another step back. "No no no! This can't be! I died!"

"Virago, listen to me." Lucifer raised his hands midway, walking slowly towards me. "After Michael hurt you, I killed him and helped you recover. You shouldn't be walking, my love."

"But...but school." I gulped. "Jaz and Yesenia and Hades and–"

"All just dreams. You were in a coma for a year, Virago ."

Is that why I'm so skinny again? No. No, snap out of it! This has to be fake! My heavy breathing continued to rise. "No, that doesn't make sense! Michael killed me! I was reborn and you found me months ago! You're probably not even you! I bet you're just Michael in disguise!"

The thought of that sent my heart falling into the pit of my stomach. My palms grew sweaty. Cold sweat sprouted on my back and forehead.

I think I'm going to puke.

"Virago, you have to calm down and listen to me. Everything is alright, you were just injured by Michael and I've been taking care of you ever since."

Looking him over, I tried to find his aura. But it was gone. His aura was replaced with a dizziness taking over my senses.

Shaking my head, I raked my fingers through my hair. "What the hell is going on with me? Why isn't it working?"

Lucifer tilted his head in wonder. "What isn't working?

"I...I can't tell if you're lying or not."

"What do you mean?"

"My power, you know, I can tell when someone lies."

Lucifer laughed, running his fingers through his shoulder length hair. "My love, you never had powers."

"What are you talking about?! That was one of the first things I told you about me!"