Chapter fifty-three

Start from the beginning

Harry nodded. He could still hear Faith talk to Tonks about her family of over-achievers. He didn't know any of the Diggorys, except for her mum and dad and Cedric of course but that was because he still learnt new things about the wizarding world every day, like St Mungo's. Harry assumed family must be really important in her home. That meant she'd like his Christmas present for sure.

"Here we go," Mad-Eye mumbled as they stopped in front of an old-fashioned department store called Purge & Dowse Ltd. It looked old, as if no one had been there in months. A sign read: 'Closed for Refurbishment'. 

"Right," Tonks said, leading them to a particular window where an odd-looking dummy stood. "Everybody ready?"

They all nodded. Tonks leaned closer to the window, looking like she was making eye-contact with the dummy.

"Wotcher," She said, "we're here to see Arthur Weasley," The dummy, to Harry's great surprise, gave a little nod and beckoned with its jointed finger. Tonks grabbed Ginny and Mrs Weasley and stepped through the glass and disappeared. Next, Fred, George and Ron went in, also disappearing. Harry looked around, to see if Muggles had maybe spotted this weird sighting, but they all kept walking. 

"C'mon," Mad-Eye grumbled at the two teenagers left and he poked them in the back. Both leapt forward and walked through, what felt like, an ice-cold sheet of water but on the other side it was warm and dry. 

Faith looked around and noticed they were in the crowded reception. Some wizards looked rather normal but some had some weird disfigurements like an extra arm sticking out of their chest or an elephant trunk. It was even louder in here than outside because of all the noises some patients made. Wizards and witches in lime-green coloured uniforms walked past all the patients to take notes on a clipboard, like Umbridge's. 

"Are they doctors?" Harry asked Faith. 

"Doctors?" She asked with a frown. "Are those the Muggle mugs that cut people up? No, these are Healers."

"Over here!" Mrs Weasley called for them. They followed her to a queue in front of a blonde witch that set behind a desk marked Enquiries. A large portrait hung behind her which Faith recognised as Dilys, the witch that also had a portrait in Dumbledore's study. When she saw the two she winked and then walked out of her portrait. 

"It's there - ouch - shoes my brother gave me - ow - they're eating my - OUCH - feet - look at them, there must be some kind of - AARGH - jinx on them and I can't - AAAAARGH - get them off," A wizard at the front of the queue was hopping on one foot to the other.

"The shoes don't prevent you from reading, do they?" The blonde witch said annoyed. "You want Spell Damage, fourth floor. Just like it says on the floor guide. Next!"

The next was a very old wizard with a hearing trumpet.

"I'm here to see Broderick Bode!" He yelled.

"Ward forty-nine, but I'm afraid you're wasting your time. He's completely addled, you know - still thinks he's a teapot. Next!"

A man, holding his daughter by her ankles as she tried to fly away using the big feathery wings that sprouted out of her back. 

"Fourth floor," She witch mumbled, checking her nails. "Next!" Finally, it was Mrs Weasley's turn.

"Hello, my husband, Arthur Weasley, was supposed to be moved to a different ward this morning, could you tell us -?"

"Arthur Weasley?" The blonde mumbled, scanning a list. "Yes, first floor, second door on the right, Dai Llewellyn Ward,"

"Thank you," Mrs Weasley said. "Come one, you lot," Mrs Weasley lead them through the double doors next to the desk. A corridor laid behind them, walls decorated with more portraits of famous Healers. The lights on the ceilings were from hovering, crystals balls with a candle inside. They walked to the very end where the stairs were and climbed up to the Creature-Induced Injuries corridor. Two doors later was the ward they were looking for.