Chapter 41: deteriorate

Chapter Forty-One: Deteriorate

Quick warning guys. This chapter contains some graphic and disturbing scenes. You've been warned.

ONE MORE CHAPTER AFTER THIS ONE. i think.

Twenty-seven days. I had no concept of time mainly because I didn't need it anymore. Nine to five jobs meant nothing to me, nor did the concept of midnight verses noon hour. I refused to look at my phone except for when it was needed for work. I didn't have any of their contacts anymore, but the memory of their ten digits imprinted in my brain.

My finger draped against the wooden desk in my room where a powdery dust resided. I inspected it for only a moment before clapping my hands together to rid the snow. I was jonesing hard today.

I paced a lot for no particular reason. The feeling of constantly being on edge was starting to get to me a percent higher every day. Nash was upping the stakes of his hierarchy by involving a new set of demons connected to a whole new level of crime.

Days went by slower when my only thoughts were her.

After what seemed like a world of procrastination, I decided to throw my black leather jacket over my black v-neck shirt. I stared at the desk a little longer, contemplating decisions, spacing out.

The creek of my bedroom door while startling me, didn't make me move a muscle. I knew by the way they crept that I was still the one in power here. The new treaty that we would be facing today must be making Nash nervous. He wouldn't have brought over Marcus and Darius if he didn't need back up.

Marcus cleared his throat from the doorway. It's been awhile, brother. "What are you doing?" He asked with a sharp voice.

I stared away, continuing the form of a statue.

"Vince asked you to be downstairs over forty minutes ago," He continued.

Vince wasn't my boss. They knew of this.
"We need you to help us with tonight, Ex. Are you listening?" He huffed. "I heard you've been fucking off whenever you please, and I don't think Nash is very-"

I lifted my head and turned ever so slightly in his direction, giving a side eye.

Marcus immediately changed his facial expression from confidence to plea.

"I'm-I'm just saying that you-"

My eyes cool as ice, stared him down until he muted himself and stepped away from the door frame. Did he almost forget that I was in charge? Pitiful.

Since my return, it didn't take long to embody the position of the leader next to Nash all over again. The boys feared me easily once I let myself slip back into my old ways. Things were slightly different this time though. I was different. I had a conscience, I just never let it shine through. For all they knew, I was much worse than I ever had been.

With vengeance, maybe.

I walked downstairs to meet up with the other guys who were standing in a pact circle talking amongst each other. The crease on Darius's forehead seized me to believe that they were nervous; This had to go well.

They stopped talking when Nash's eyes met mine. The rest turned their attention towards me and Marcus's shoulders slumped slightly in a sign of relief. He didn't need to hear the wrath of Nash's rage when he realized that I didn't listen to orders.

"Eli, just on time," Nash's voice dripped in sarcasm.

I walked into their bubble, a place I never liked to be in but I needed to be close to them in order to show them I can attack when I pleased.